Help with set up of M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Help with set up of M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Help with set up of M4
Help with set up of M4
2022-01-23 09:44:53
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. Looking for some help - PLEASE NOTE I HAVE VERY LIMITED IT KNOWLEDGE AND WOULD APPRECIATE RESPONSES IN BASIC , PLAIN, IDIOT PROOF ENGLISH :)

I set up three M4 Decos in my house following instructions on app. A breeze. However, my old computer with Wifi 2.4 band and smart TV on 5 band see the Deco network, but says no internet. So far, everything else seems to work OK (mobile phones mainly). I haven't changed any of the settings on my Virgin HUB3 as the set up instructions did not say to do that. Therefore I now have two networks - the original WiFi signal from Virgin hub and the new Deco wifi, which I have given a different name and password to. My old computer works on the Virgin hub WiFi still. I suspect it would be better to have one network? I read I will get a better experience if I turn off the WiFi on my HUB? If I do this will I have to complete Deco set up process again? What's all this router/modem business? Should I turn my Hub to router mode? No idea what that means, but know how to do it. Again, will I need to do set up again?

Currently the Ethernet cable is in the top connection at back of the hub - will I have to move that if I change HUB settings? Lastly, I have a smart TV which was previously hard wired via Ethernet to the back of the HUB - I've removed that, but would like to return it - I tried it in the new Deco extra port which is wired to the HUb, but no joy.

Thank you :)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Help with set up of M4
2022-01-23 13:17:09

@Wally11 Remove the virgin hub & set up the decos again

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2022-01-23 14:59:42

ImtiazAli wrote

@Wally11 Remove the virgin hub & set up the decos again

@ImtiazAli 

This is not the best recommendation for the person with limited IT knowledge. You must know that Virgin hub 3 is modem+router, and just removing it will terminate Internet connection. That person might not.

Options
2022-01-23 15:07:03 - last edited 2022-01-23 15:09:29

@Wally11 

I am assuming you still have Virgin Hub3 router and your old computer connected to it wirelessly. You also still have Deco mesh running in your house. 

With these assumptions, as a first step I would recommend to switch Deco to Access Point mode. In that mode, Deco will provide WiFi coverage all over your house, but not interfere with network management Virgin hub 3 is responsible for.

To make that change, open Deco app, and under More/Advanced you'll see this screen where you should change Operating Mode to Access Point:

To continue with troubleshooting, I have a question in regard to your Smart TV(s). Do you have just one Smart TV and it is (was) connected to hub3 by Ethernet cable, or do you have two Smart TVs: one connected by Ethernet cable and one you want to have connected wirelessly?

Also, your Virgin Hub 3 has 4 Ethernet ports. You said you needed to connect Smart TV to Main Deco second port. You should be able to, but why won't you use one of other three Ethernet ports - are they not available? What is connected to them?

Options
2022-01-24 21:35:20

@Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for your response. Very clear and helpful. Yes, your assumptions are correct. Yes, I have just one Smart TV and it was connected to hub3 by Ethernet cable. The reason I didn't put it back in the back of the Hub was that my husband said he had read somewhere no to put in any other devices if the Deco was connected to Hub, but he knows even less than me! I will try both your suggestions - thank you.

Options
2022-01-25 01:22:18 - last edited 2022-01-25 01:23:07

@Wally11 

Your husband is not wrong, but what he had read applies to different Deco configuration, not the one you have or going to have under my guidance.

You can connect Smart TV by Ethernet cable to any available yellow colored Ethernet port of your Virgin hub 3. It should work, and this is also the test to see if your Virgin hub 3 configured the way I think it is. 

Then, change Deco configuration the way I described. This will simplify Deco setup and will save you from many headaches in the future.

When these two steps are completed successfully, the next step will be to review options for your old PC with WiFi 2.4GHz band. 

After PC is dealt with, the last step, unless you'll have any other issues or questions, will be to decide if WiFi on Virgin hub 3 needs to be turned off. 

----------------

If everything goes according to the plan, no other configuration changes will be required for Virgin hub 3, and of course you would not need to redo Deco set up process again. In fact, as you could see, you are very close to completion of Deco deployment, just few steps left, which I listed, to finish it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 460

Replies: 5

Related Articles