Having to run network optimization daily to keep my 2.4ghz network functional.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-01 09:54:52
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.2 Build 20210916 Rel. 56193

I have two phones in our apartment that only support 2.4 GHz wifi and I have to run network optimization frequently to serve those devices with WiFi. This is in an apartment building, so, there are a lot of 2.4 GHz networks around which cripples my 2.4GHz wifi sometimes. Is there any way to automate this optimization feature to check if it can change to a better channel every x hours? Or, is it possible to set a fixed channel?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Having to run network optimization daily to keep my 2.4ghz network functional.
2022-02-01 16:41:05 - last edited 2022-02-01 16:42:40

@WreckRox 

When you run Network Optimization, two things happen: Deco mesh forces devices to briefly disconnect and reconnect, and Deco may also switch WiFi channel, but not necessarily.

Have you verified that Network Optimization does change 2.4GHz channel when you run it? Have you considered that maybe you are getting service back on those devices just because they were forced to reconnect? Next time they lose Internet, restart these phones and do not run Network Optimization. See if just phone restart makes it connect to Internet again. If it does, what you have is a phone problem.

As far as I know, TP-Link development rejected manual channel setup. They promised Deco reboot on schedule, which does the same as Network Optimization, because after reboot Main Deco will rescan WiFi networks and choose least congested channel (at least, in theory). ETA for scheduled reboot is unknown.

You can emulate that with little expense. Connect Main Deco to power through smart plug, set schedule on smart plug to power off/on Main Deco every X hours.

Options
Re:Having to run network optimization daily to keep my 2.4ghz network functional.
2022-02-01 20:00:56 - last edited 2022-02-01 20:05:52

@Alexandre. yep I have confirmed that it does change the 2.4ghz channel every time network optimization is run. The wifi above my apartment has a router that turns on periodically and more often than not is the cause of the interference.  I can't change that so I need to do something from my end.

About the reconnecting thingy, it doesn't change when I reconnect the devices near the affected deco. They start working whenever the devices are outside the "zone of influence" of the interfering wifi. Our apartment has two decos and the wifi which interferes with our network is in one half of the apartment. So, the main deco is unaffected and one of the satellite deco's 2.4ghz stops working.

Options
2022-02-02 10:13:03

@WreckRox 

At  a time, I plug the deco units to a smart plug and put it in an on/off schedule for it to reset.

Once the decos reset, it should re-optimize.

Options
2022-02-02 10:15:50

@Raph062384 Unfortunately, it's not an option for me. The decos take a lot of time to boot anyway. A minute is a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 691

Replies: 4