Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-06 23:28:41 - last edited 2022-02-07 06:13:24
Model: TL-WR802N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am using the TL-WR802N Nano Travel Router. I set it up in Range Extender mode:

1. Connected to the router WiFi on my laptop
  2. Went to the router management portal at http://192.168.0.1 and set it up in Range Extender mode with my home WiFi. I set a different SSID for the extender WiFi.
  3. Connected to the new SSID on my laptop

At this point, I'm able to access the Internet but when I go to the router management portal at http://192.168.0.1 to change settings, I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. The only ways I can regain access to the portal are to reset the router using the physical reset button or to turn off my home WiFi. Both of these are a hassle. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi-Solution
2022-02-07 02:18:56 - last edited 2022-02-07 06:13:24

@nivetaj 

Yes, there is. Using a network scanner like: https://angryip.org/.

After connecting your laptop to the wireless network (it doesn't matter whether main router's or TL-WR802N's) scan your LAN subnet with this app.

It will show all the devices that are active in your LAN - and you should be able to recognize which one is the TL-WR802N and see its IP address.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi-Solution
2022-02-07 06:12:54 - last edited 2022-02-09 09:04:19

@terziyski Thanks! I used arp -a in a terminal on my Macbook while connected to the TL-WR802N's WiFi and located the IP address associated with the MAC address of the TL-WR802N. The router management portal was accessible at that address.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi
2022-02-06 23:51:28

@nivetaj 

Most probably your TL-WR802N LAN IP address is not 192.168.0.1 anymore, once set up in RE mode.

To be able to find its actual IP address connect your laptop to your main router wi-fi and log in its web management interface.

Then from its DHCP clients table you should be able to determine which is the actual TL-WR802N LAN IP address and use it as you want.

The other thing you could do is when you see your TL-WR802N wireless MAC address, make an address reservation in your main router for its MAC address.

Thus you'll know for sure TL-WR802N LAN IP address when you switch to RE mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Unable to connect to router management portal after connecting to Range Extender WiFi
2022-02-07 01:46:45 - last edited 2022-02-07 01:47:10

@terziyski What if I don't have the credentials to admin portal of my home router? Or if instead of a home router, I'm connecting to an iPhone hotspot? Is there another way to find my TL-WR802N LAN IP address while connected to the range extender?

Options
2022-02-07 02:18:56 - last edited 2022-02-07 06:13:24

@nivetaj 

Yes, there is. Using a network scanner like: https://angryip.org/.

After connecting your laptop to the wireless network (it doesn't matter whether main router's or TL-WR802N's) scan your LAN subnet with this app.

It will show all the devices that are active in your LAN - and you should be able to recognize which one is the TL-WR802N and see its IP address.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-07 06:12:54 - last edited 2022-02-09 09:04:19

@terziyski Thanks! I used arp -a in a terminal on my Macbook while connected to the TL-WR802N's WiFi and located the IP address associated with the MAC address of the TL-WR802N. The router management portal was accessible at that address.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 536

Replies: 4

Related Articles