Archer C6v3.20 WDS not working in 5GHz mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-09 17:17:15
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256(5553)

Model: Archer C6

Hardware Version: V3.20

Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256(5553)

Root/Main Router - GX Earth 4222

Hello all, 

I purchased Archer C6 Router to use as 2nd router and extend my 5GHz wifi range, my base router is  GX Earth 4222, while trying to configure the wds option on the C6 the site survey works just fine it is able to locate my 5GHz connection and after the setting the WDS service is showing as 'Run" on the Dashboard. 

However the C6 never connectes to the internet. 

Steps tried : Firmware has been updated to the latest one US ver 1.0.14 No change, Both routers have been rebooted - no change, Tried the settings multiple time - no change, Router has been replaced with a new one same model - No change same issue on both C6 Routers. 

WDS works in the 2.4 GHz mode however only works till the time the router is rebooted once the c6 is rebooted it stops to work. 

Some one is the community had recomonded that WDS mode is set to Auto mode by default and the option to change this on the web admin interface is disbaled so had suggested to try the below steps as a workaround :

"I went to "System Tools -> System Parameters -> 5GHz WDS", then I opened "Developer tools" in Chrome (CTRL+SHIFT+I) and searched for "wds_mode_5g". 
I see that the enclosing div container is hidden in the new firmware, thus I enabled it with deleting the "hidden" from the "class". I set the "WDS mode" to "WDS1" from "Auto", reboot C6 and everything started to work"  I saw this comment on some other post, I dont have the WDS mode setting enable on the router page I have tried to do what is mentioned above but it does not work not able to get the option to enabled it

Currently I am using it as a access point and it works gr8 as a wired connection

One of my friend who is using a few months old C6 same model same hardware version and same Firmware is using the WDS function without any issues without any workaround or additionl settings.

I am not sure what is going on here can someone please check and help 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C6v3.20 WDS not working in 5GHz mode
2022-02-09 22:50:54

@Saintjp 

The ability to build a WDS strongly depends on the make and model of your main router.

It could happen that when building a WDS with the same brand devices is impossible, while on the other hand a different brands cope very well.

Also WDS stability and bandwidth depends to a great extent on the level of wireless interference around you.

Keeping all these in mind I would advise you - if you are comfortable using C6 in AP mode (wired to your main router) then keep this topology for the sake of connection stability and speed. Building WDS is preferable in cases when there's no option of using an ethernet cable between devices.

You can bring your C6 to your friend's place and test building a WDS with his main router - thus you can check if the issue is with your C6 router or with your main router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-10 16:02:49
Well this does not seem to be an ideal solution, I got this router for the sole purpose of getting the WDS created, I am not sure if this is some thing which is a limitation on the base router side. I hope some one from the TPlink provides an official response
Options
2022-02-10 19:19:59

@Saintjp 

Actually the warning about WDS incompatibility is published in one of the the official guides for using WDS feature. When you open the link (blue text) look for the text in red to read the warning.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 473

Replies: 3

Related Articles