Advice needed switching from ISP router to Omada compatible router (TL-R605 SafeStream)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Advice needed switching from ISP router to Omada compatible router (TL-R605 SafeStream)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-13 21:33:01
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I already own some Omada Acces Points and a switch:

I manage them all through Omada Controller, on a Raspberry Pi (192.168.0.101):

My router isn't part of the Omada eco system yet.

I just use my ISP router (Orange, Belgium).

They offer the possibility to set the router to "bridge mode" so that you can use your own router.

I consider buying a TL-R605.

I barely use my ISP router a the moment.  I only use it for:

• assigning fixed IP's to +/- 10 devices (including all Omada devices)
  • opening one port for SSH
  • as a DHCP server
  • for setting the DNS address (Raspberry Pi)
  • remote access

I found an article highlighting some potential problems when adding an Omada Gateway:

https://www.tp-link.com/nl-be/support/faq/3148/

I don't think this applies to my situation, because the default LAN IP address of Omada Gateway is 192.168.0.1, and I already use the same subnet.

What would be your advice to switch from my current router to the new one?

My existing Omada devices and my Omada Controller (Raspberry Pi) will lose their fixed IP adresses, DHCP and DNS won't work temporarily, ...

Is a step by step guide available?

I already took 1 action: IP address 192.168.0.1 is not in use.  My existing router uses 192.168.0.2:

The other fixed IP's:

Options
2 Reply
Re:Advice needed switching from ISP router to Omada compatible router (TL-R605 SafeStream)
2022-02-13 23:13:26

@FlashWeave 

The R605 will become your DHCP server and start to offer IPs to clients on whatever subnet you identify in the controller, this is usually 192.168.0.xx range

However you might have a issue if your WAN router is using that range also.    I had an issue where the ER605 was using 192.168.0.xxx as its LAN IPs, but was also receiving a DHCP on its WAN port from my ISP router on the same subnet (192.168.0.xx).   You cant have the same range on WAN and LAN ports

To fix this I changed the ISP router to hand out addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range, technically the only device getting a DHCP from the ISP router will be the ER605 WAN port.

Therefore it looks as below..

ISP Router (192.168.1.1)  ----  ER605 WAN PORT (192.168.1.2)  ER605 LAN (192.168.0.1)   ----   Switches and Clients  (192.168.0.xxx)

Otherwise the only thing left to do is manually set any reservations you require.. should be all good

Options
Re:Advice needed switching from ISP router to Omada compatible router (TL-R605 SafeStream)
2022-02-14 21:18:10

@Philbert Thank you for your advice.

Philbert wrote

However you might have a issue if your WAN router is using that range also.    I had an issue where the ER605 was using 192.168.0.xxx as its LAN IPs, but was also receiving a DHCP on its WAN port from my ISP router on the same subnet (192.168.0.xx).   You cant have the same range on WAN and LAN ports

As I understand it, activating "brdigemode" on my ISP modem/router, will completely disable the router part:

only 1 of the 4 ethernet ports will stay active, and the first device on the remaining ethernet port will be the new Omada router.

The router will receive a public IP address.

This is the image my ISP uses:

My question is mainly practical, and has to do with the order in which to do the migration.

When can I disable my current ISP router?  It has to stay active long enough, so that my Raspberry Pi with the Omada controller on it keeps it static IP,

so that I can adopt the new Omada router.

Maybe that's what you try to tell me?

At some point (temporarily) 2 routers will be active, and will be using the 192.168.0.xx range.

It's really all about the timing.  That part isn't clear to me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3680

Replies: 2

Related Articles