What are the risks with too much deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-15 14:25:07 - last edited 2022-02-16 09:08:55
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

What are the risks if I have too much Deco in my house?
Could I observe random disconnection/reconnection of some devices.

My notifications are strange for some devices and I would like to have more advises as possible, I'm asking myself if I have not one deco more than necessary.
This notification issue has two opened tickets, one at French Deco Support and other with international support but I would really like to have more answers as possible ;)

Maybe the goal to have an "excellent" signal everywhere in the house could cause some issues?

To precise, I have three floors:
- Level 0 is where I have the front door, nothing else but I have a Deco for the future doorbell outside just behind the door;
- Level 1: about 40 square meters, I have the main deco and at the other side I have a second Deco (ethernet backhaul);
- Level 2: walls are less big so I only have one deco at the center to serve two bedrooms and the bathroom.

Does it look like excessive?
Or are my disconnection only a part of the capriciousness of the wifi?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What are the risks with too much deco-Solution
2022-02-15 16:46:17 - last edited 2022-02-16 09:08:55

@Nardol 

I would not call four Deco M5 in the three floors house "too many." See How many Deco units can I add to my Deco mesh network?

There could be multiple reasons for disconnects, for example:

• Satellite Deco too far from Main Deco
  • Mobile device does not handle well dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz under same Network name)
  • Older mobile device doesn't understand WiFi mesh in general
  • Weak signal from Satellite Deco to mobile device
  • WiFi interference from household appliances and neighbours' WiFi networks

The one that is easiest to check first would be Satellite Deco placements. They must be placed where they can get good WiFi signal from Main Deco. In Deco app, check info page for each of Satellite Deco and what it says under Signal Source. Example:

In this example, Satellite Deco is connected to Main Deco named "Living Room," and WiFi signal between them is acceptable, two blue bars. Should be two or three blue bars for proper placement.

Also check the same for Satellite Deco with Ethernet backhaul, to see if it really uses Ethernet. If it does, this is what you'll see:

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:What are the risks with too much deco-Solution
2022-02-15 16:46:17 - last edited 2022-02-16 09:08:55

@Nardol 

I would not call four Deco M5 in the three floors house "too many." See How many Deco units can I add to my Deco mesh network?

There could be multiple reasons for disconnects, for example:

• Satellite Deco too far from Main Deco
  • Mobile device does not handle well dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz under same Network name)
  • Older mobile device doesn't understand WiFi mesh in general
  • Weak signal from Satellite Deco to mobile device
  • WiFi interference from household appliances and neighbours' WiFi networks

The one that is easiest to check first would be Satellite Deco placements. They must be placed where they can get good WiFi signal from Main Deco. In Deco app, check info page for each of Satellite Deco and what it says under Signal Source. Example:

In this example, Satellite Deco is connected to Main Deco named "Living Room," and WiFi signal between them is acceptable, two blue bars. Should be two or three blue bars for proper placement.

Also check the same for Satellite Deco with Ethernet backhaul, to see if it really uses Ethernet. If it does, this is what you'll see:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:What are the risks with too much deco
2022-02-16 10:26:05

@Alexandre. Thanks a lot for your very clear answer.

And in terme of interferences: is not there a risk of wifi connectivity issue if there are too much Deco near a device?

The device would have too  much choice and have strange behavior because of to much source for example.

My satellites are placed correctly after checking. Smartphones are recent (a Pixel 4A and a Redmi Note 8T).

I also have a lot of notification for Espressive devices even when disabling mesh for these and configure Deco to force them to connect to the nearest Deco.

Options
Re:What are the risks with too much deco
2022-02-16 14:59:48 - last edited 2022-02-16 20:49:27

@Nardol 

For WiFi mesh, a bit of interference is necessary. If your smartphone does not see signal from more than one WiFi mesh node, it can't switch seamlessly between nodes when you walk in your house.

Also, WiFi mesh nodes need to have good WiFi signal to communicate with each other. Which means if they can talk to each other they also have overlapping WiFi signal coming from them.

It is recommended to have at least one WiFi mesh node per floor. On a floor, if you have multiple nodes, you need to place them not closer that 2 meters from each other to avoid too much interference.

Also, for better coverage, try to space them no more than 10 to 14 metres apart. If you have all nodes on the same floor wired, the distance between them could be larger - for you to try and see what works in your house.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 612

Replies: 3

Related Articles