Mesh M4 Configuration for Home Network (One with ethernet backhaul)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-16 10:38:13
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I have recently acquired 5 Deco M4's and they have made a significant improvement to wifi signal given we have a house with thick double skin walls and the fibre comes into the home in a cupboard under the stairs. I haven't used all the units as I felt it could be overkill, they are all on the latest updates.  

Essentially I would like the master Deco in the living room and two mesh units in the kitchen and master bedroom, currently this is working great. 

I would like to use the ethernet backhaul to the office and this to essentially function as it's own access point on the same SSID, it's in a building detached from the house so get's poor signal, but there is ethernet there. 

At the moment I have it configured as below, however the Office Deco M4 is still using the signal from the Primary Living room Deco. Given the kitchen one is closer (this isn't represented in the diagram) I would have thought it would mesh off of that? Irrespective I would like this unit to be wired via ethernet and act as it's own access point.

At the moment it is set up as below. As I drew it out I did feel like it's wrong and some diagrams online would indicated the same. Without the Deco's I was on IP range 192.168.10.XXX and now it seems as though the deco is assigning IPs as the devices are on 192.168.68.XXX.

Am I correct in thinking the primary Deco should be plugged into the switch (via patch panel)? And then be in access point mode? 

I am a networking beginner so any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Mesh M4 Configuration for Home Network (One with ethernet backhaul)
2022-02-16 14:45:56

@WHE77ON 

You said you've got five Deco M4, but your diagram shows just four. Keeping fifth one as a spare, perhaps? If yes, it may come handy.

Satellite Deco units prefer to connect to Main Deco (Primary Deco), that would explain why your Office Deco tries connecting to Living Room Deco. In your case, it should not be a big deal, as you plan to wire Office Deco.

For your diagram to work without modifications, you will need to change Deco from Router mode to Access Point mode. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode. When you do that, you'll be back to IP range 192.168.10.XXX for all your home network devices. Your Office Deco will use Ethernet backhaul when you wire it.

In Access Point mode, your Main Deco must still be wired to the home network, it is a requirement, but it can be wired anywhere there is an available Ethernet port providing connectivity to your home network. 

Also, note that Deco does not extend your ISP Router/Modem WiFi. Deco runs its own WiFi network. For that reason, it is recommended to turn off WiFi in ISP Router/Modem. If you need WiFi coverage near it but signal from other Deco is weak, connect your fifth M4 by short Ethernet cable directly to one of ISP Router/Modem Ethernet ports. You can do that after your Deco is configured to run in Access Point.

Options
2022-02-16 16:57:58

@Alexandre. Thanks for a quick reply.

You are correct, I have kept the 5th Deco as a spare rather than selling it.

In terms of the router/modem, I have already switched the wireless off on this (I should have said), and created a WiFi netowrk with the same SSID and PW to simplify. 

I will try your suggestion tonight and come back to you. 

Thanks for the help yes

Options
2022-02-17 11:53:52

@Alexandre. Hi Alexandre, that has done the trick perfectly. Thanks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 421

Replies: 3

Related Articles