Hotspot Portal using Voucher Codes is broken: Get one Code für Lifetime free Wifi :-)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hotspot Portal using Voucher Codes is broken: Get one Code für Lifetime free Wifi :-)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-17 13:57:15 - last edited 2022-02-21 08:22:39
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

during our upgrade journey (see other thread) we discovered another very interesting behaviour of the Hotspot-Portal with voucher-codes enabled.

Normally an time-limited voucher code works like this:

Connect to wifi and enter the code in logon-page. The first usage will be tracked. If the code e.g. is valid for 8 hours then it will expire exactly 8 hours after activation.

If the device gets disconnected (either by turning off wifi or clicking the button disconnect in the hotspot manager) the expiration time will be the same.

But in the current 4.x and 5.x version the hotspot portal calculates the expiration time with every new login. That means disconnecting the device or log-on with another device extends the expiration time automatically. That makes the Hotsport-Portal with voucher-codes nearly useless.

The voucher code has been set up like this:

I wonder that nobody discovered this? frown

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Hotspot Portal using Voucher Codes is broken: Get one Code für Lifetime free Wifi :-)-Solution
2022-02-21 08:22:32 - last edited 2022-02-21 08:22:39

Dear @indigo,

indigo wrote

But in the current 4.x and 5.x version the hotspot portal calculates the expiration time with every new login. That means disconnecting the device or log-on with another device extends the expiration time automatically. That makes the Hotsport-Portal with voucher-codes nearly useless.

Thank you for posting the problem on the TP-Link Community!

This issue has been reported to the developer team for investigation, and it would be fixed in the Controller v5.2 (probably release in April, only for your reference). Once the new firmware is available, I'll update this post, welcome to subscribe ~

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Hotspot Portal using Voucher Codes is broken: Get one Code für Lifetime free Wifi :-)-Solution
2022-02-21 08:22:32 - last edited 2022-02-21 08:22:39

Dear @indigo,

indigo wrote

Thank you for posting the problem on the TP-Link Community!

This issue has been reported to the developer team for investigation, and it would be fixed in the Controller v5.2 (probably release in April, only for your reference). Once the new firmware is available, I'll update this post, welcome to subscribe ~

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Hotspot Portal using Voucher Codes is broken: Get one Code für Lifetime free Wifi :-)
2022-04-14 23:25:13

@Fae I just found out that there is the new beta 5.2.4 out and just installed it.

It seems that the new "feature" #4 >> Added "Duration Type" options for vouchers, with "Voucher Duration" and "Client Duration" optional. << could be the solution to our problem.

To give it a try I just installed the new version:

Coming from 3.x going trough v4.2.11 I migrated to 5.2.4 (beta). Seems to work this way but all the already created vouchers get " Client Duration" as default value. But for us it should be "Voucher Duration" - any ideas how to change that?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 814

Replies: 2