2,4 Ghz not strong enough after updating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-18 23:43:35 - last edited 2022-02-19 07:41:17
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.10

I need to understand that if I want a good working router, I have to pay something more. I was happy with my Archer C60 for a couple of years, with the only problem that my Chromebook was not connecting to it, but all my other devices were running well. Then, a couple of days ago, the 2,4 Ghz signal started to bee very low, so that only devices very close to the router were able to see it. I generally have more than 20 items connected, but only 8/9 were still able to establish a connection.

This is the reason why I bought a brand new Archer C80 that I set up in a few minutes as the previous one, by replacing it. Everything started to run smoothly again, untill I had the bad idea to make the firmware up to date. The original older 1.05 version was replaced by the new 1,10 and after reboot, what a surprise: the signal is now weaker! Again, I cannot see the 2,4 Ghz after a round and a wall, while the older C60 had a strong signal and also the C80 before updating it. What happened? The strange thing is that I can see the 5Ghz net where 2,4 Ghz is completely absent!!

I start thinking that this brand of router is not as reliable as it is supposed to be.

It costs not a lot, but too expensive for me, being able to use it only for a couple of hours!! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:2,4 Ghz not strong enough after updating
2022-02-21 06:53:00

Hi @Gio_B 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

According to your description, it seems that there are much interference on your 2.4G wireless network, so that 2.4G signal strength gets weak. 

Here are some suggestions for you:

1)Move some clients to 5G wireless network

Nowadays, more and more network devices take 2.4G frequency to transmit signals, and various electromagnetic uses 2.4G frequency to work, which makes 2.4G frequency becomes too crowed to convey signals. If you connect 20 devices to 2.4G, then 2.4G will be overloaded. Thus, we do suggest our customers to move some clients to 5G frequency for network activities to have the best network experience.

2) Change 2.4G wireless channel and channel width

Please login to the router web management interface by referring to this guide, then please go to Advanced>>Wireless>>Wireless Settings>>please change 2.4G channel width to 20MHz, and try different channel to find best one. 

Note: You can download Wi-Fi analyzer application and use this application to analyze which channel is the best one. 

3) Adjust antennas for best location and direction

-  Deploy the antenna in good location and correct angle, and also make sure your wireless client devices are in the coverage;

-  Antenna on wireless devices are used to receive and send wireless signal. To have a stronger wireless signal, we recommend to place antennas at 45 degrees (diagonally) or 0 degrees (straight out parallel to the floor) which will be more effective.

4) Try best to avoid the extrinsic interference

Avoiding the physical interference in the wireless coverage, each wall or ceiling will have a negative effect on wireless radio particularly the ones built by solid metal material ;

- Keep your device away from various electromagnetic noise sources that generate RF noise, like microwaves, Monitors, electric motors, copying and fax machines, etc.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:2,4 Ghz not strong enough after updating
2022-02-21 07:05:04 - last edited 2022-02-21 07:51:48

Hi there, thank you for your advice. This is exactly what I tried at the beginning, apologize for not mentioning it. I downloaded a WiFi analyser and checked for any possible interference and the best channel, although I live in a single house and there are not so may nets around me. Router is already in the best possible central place and of course I moved antennas as suggested, without any significant improvement.

Strange point is that the signal dropped after updating the firmware, while it was ok before doing it. 

Anyway, I moved to the standard Fastweb router, which by the way has no external antennas, it is Huawei, and everything is now running well. All devices can see both 2,4 an 5 Ghz nets, also those farther from the router. 

I am pretty sure that the signal of Archer C80, in spite of the 4 big external antennas, at least the one I bought, is too weak, well weaker than other routers. And this happened for sure after updating the firmware. I am disappointed with it and I have eventually returned it. The reason why people buy an additional router and are not using the standard modem router provided by the internet provider, is to have better performances and unfortunately this was not the case.

As stated above, maybe it is worth to pay something more. Have a nice day

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 2

Related Articles