Newbie question: Using Deco M9 as a router through coax

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-02 15:28:04 - last edited 2022-03-02 16:42:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: No idea

Hello all,

I have a set of three M9s using currently with a Frontier router coax cable (rental 5$ per month).

Recently the Frontier has been finicki, so while on a call with Frontier the tech said I could techinically use the Deco as a router and rid of their router.

1) Is this possible?

2) If so, any recommendation on a coax to Cat5 converter?

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Newbie question: Using Deco M9 as a router through coax-Solution
2022-03-02 16:37:20 - last edited 2022-03-02 16:42:22

@Griffin_paak 

I have coax Hitron CODA-4582 router from my ISP, and Deco mesh attached to it. Based on my experience of troubleshooting Internet issues with my ISP tech support, I would not recommend to remove ISP provided coax router. Even if it is possible. I don't know if it is.

If you remove ISP Router, any issue with Internet you have escalated to your ISP technical support will be dismissed as related to third-party hardware: Deco. Does not matter if it is true, or not. It will become much harder to convince ISP tech support to troubleshoot the problem. You must understand their position, too: with their cable router they should be able to read diagnostics data from it and issue troubleshooting commands to it directly. Remove ISP router completely and replace by Deco, and now you are on your own. On this forum you'll be told to check with ISP Tech support, and they will tell you escalate to Deco support.

The only thing I can suggest is to simplify your home network, if possible. If you run Frontier router as a router, switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

If, from the other hand, you need to run Deco as a router, configure Frontier router to run as a modem only (a.k.a. in bridge mode). You may need to contact your ISP Tech Support for directions of how to do that.

This may not necessarily fix issues you experience, but simplifying network setup sometimes does and usually recommended, especially if something going wrong. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Newbie question: Using Deco M9 as a router through coax-Solution
2022-03-02 16:37:20 - last edited 2022-03-02 16:42:22

@Griffin_paak 

I have coax Hitron CODA-4582 router from my ISP, and Deco mesh attached to it. Based on my experience of troubleshooting Internet issues with my ISP tech support, I would not recommend to remove ISP provided coax router. Even if it is possible. I don't know if it is.

If you remove ISP Router, any issue with Internet you have escalated to your ISP technical support will be dismissed as related to third-party hardware: Deco. Does not matter if it is true, or not. It will become much harder to convince ISP tech support to troubleshoot the problem. You must understand their position, too: with their cable router they should be able to read diagnostics data from it and issue troubleshooting commands to it directly. Remove ISP router completely and replace by Deco, and now you are on your own. On this forum you'll be told to check with ISP Tech support, and they will tell you escalate to Deco support.

The only thing I can suggest is to simplify your home network, if possible. If you run Frontier router as a router, switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

If, from the other hand, you need to run Deco as a router, configure Frontier router to run as a modem only (a.k.a. in bridge mode). You may need to contact your ISP Tech Support for directions of how to do that.

This may not necessarily fix issues you experience, but simplifying network setup sometimes does and usually recommended, especially if something going wrong. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Newbie question: Using Deco M9 as a router through coax
2022-03-02 16:42:06
This is exactly the reply I was not looking for, but was expecting. Thank you. I am going to continue in access point mode and pay Frontier the $5/month for the reasons above.
Options
2022-03-02 16:44:54

@Alexandre. 

One more follow up. The Network optimization on the app. Is there a way to schedule an automatic optomization daily/weekly?

No matter when I check, it always states congested...

Options
2022-03-02 16:56:21

@Griffin_paak 

Griffin_paak wrote

This is exactly the reply I was not looking for, but was expecting. Thank you. I am going to continue in access point mode and pay Frontier the $5/month for the reasons above.

This is what I do, too: coax router and Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

My house lost Internet last week due to issues with cable on their side. I had conversation with ISP tech support including them saying "tell me what lights do you see on router, I am sending command to router and see how it responds, do factory reset by inserting paper clip in the tiny hole right above the Ethernet ports of the router" - so what I told you is fresh on my mind. With ISP router their tech support can troubleshoot. 

Options
2022-03-02 16:59:45

Griffin_paak wrote

@Alexandre. 

One more follow up. The Network optimization on the app. Is there a way to schedule an automatic optomization daily/weekly?

No matter when I check, it always states congested...

@Griffin_paak 

I ignore that, because it is extremely unreliable. Install WiFi analyzer on smartphone to see if network is really congested.

If you still want to run network optimization of schedule, note that Deco (like any WiFi router) will re-run network scanning and optimization every time it reboots. So, this is what you can do: put Main Deco on smart plug and schedule power off/on. I use TP-Link Kasa HS103 smart plugs for things I want to power off/on on schedule. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 476

Replies: 5

Related Articles