TL-WDR4300 Media Server: no simultaneous user access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-07-27 05:58:05
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : VM

Hello

I purchased a number of TP-Link products the other day and replaced a lot of stuff in my network. All works mostly as expected except for the router's media server which doesn't seem to allow simultaneous access, bizarrely!

Downstairs Living Room:

Main cable point -> Virgin Media SuperHub in modem only mode -> TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 router

There are 3 Powerline TL-PA551 units in the house. The main one is in a socket near the router and plugged directly in using cat6 cable.
The other two TL-PA551 units are plugged in to sockets in separate bedrooms upstairs and connect to Marantz M-CR603 mini hi-fis (one in each room).

There is a TL-SG1005D switch between the TL-PA551 and the Marantz M-CR603 in each room so:

Power outlet - > TL-PA551 -> TL-SG1005D -> Marantz M-CR603

I have set up static IP addressing on the Marantz hi-fis and they both connect to the network and access Internet radio etc. The can also connect to my media server on my PC (Serviio) and do so simultaneously.

Today I inserted a 32gig flash drive full of flac music files into the rear USB1 port on the TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 router and set up the shares via the web interface. I went upstairs and I was able to stream music from the media server to the Marantz via the Media Server button on the hi-fi. It detected the server (horrible name that cannot be changed btw) and I was able to browse the folders and select and play any of the albums on the drive. I left an album playing and went next door to the other bedroom and then tried the same thing. However, it detected the server and displayed the name but I was not able to progress beyond the server name to select the folders and the music in them. I stopped playing the music on the hi-fi in bedroom one and the media server became immediately available and I was then able to play the files.

How can I access the media server simultaneously? It seems pointless if only one person can access the media server a time.

Thanks.

Si
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WDR4300 Media Server: no simultaneous user access
2013-08-01 20:04:50
Okay. I'll contact support directly. Thought it would be quicker to get help here.
Options
Re:TL-WDR4300 Media Server: no simultaneous user access
2013-08-02 00:40:33
For anyone else that is looking for an answer to this you need to get the very latest firmware update for the router

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WDR4300&version=V1
After updating firmware it will allow simultaneous access. Eg. multiple devices accessing server at the same time. Beware that it seems to occasionally lose connectivity and you may have to re-establish the connection with the media server when it does. I had two Marantz hi-fis and two Samsung S3s streaming simultaneously from the server without a hitch (phones connected via 5GHz).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 515

Replies: 2

Related Articles