Poor Multiplayer Connection with DSL modem/router combo and personal router setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor Multiplayer Connection with DSL modem/router combo and personal router setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-09 04:16:13 - last edited 2022-03-10 00:48:09

Hi

Personal Router: tp-link wifi 6 AX1800

I'm sure the issue is the double NAT but I feel that I am missing some other way to fix this

Recently I factory reset my modem and router and ever since, I've been unable to do any sort of multiplayer gaming on console. Small arena shooters experience terrible lag and as for MMOs, I'm completely unable to connect to the servers for any more than 10 seconds before immediately being disconnected, anything else like youtube/netflix/etc works, but with random spikes of poor/dropped connection.

The issue is likely the double NAT that I am being notified of, but thats the thing, when I first set up my router and modem, I don't remember having to deal with that. I remember during setup of the AX1800, it suggested that I simply disable the modem's wireless capabilities to prevent any connection errors and that worked flawlessly for months...until I reset the modem.

Now, regardless of the modem's wireless capabilities being on or off, I get the same poor connection and the double NAT notifications.

I have also tried setting the router to Access Point mode but I get the same connection issues, however I think thats due to the AX1800 not being capable of using its 5ghz radio in AP mode. Also, some options disappear when AP mode is active and I know I've always seen them before so I'm sure that's not what I originally did.

I also noticed IP passthrough, but looking at the instructions my ISP provides online, Im certain I didn't do this either.

I did try setting the modem to bridge mode, but that disabled my internet entirely and I had to factory reset it again. It seems I'd have to get the PPPoE information from my isp and set up the AX1800 with it, but I definitely did not do that before.

I am willing to just contact the ISP and set up Bridge mode but what on Earth was it that I had going on before this? I've searched but I haven't found any solutions besides these 3. if anyone has dealt with this before or knows of a simpler solution I'm missing, I'd greatly appreciate the help

Options
1 Reply
Re:Poor Multiplayer Connection with DSL modem/router combo and personal router setup
2022-03-14 09:41:49 - last edited 2022-03-14 12:51:37

@FilembarEliJeev 

To avoid double NAT in your network you should either:

• Set your ISP modem/router in bridge mode (modem only) - check this story for details on how you can do that.
  • Set AX1800 in AP mode (Case 1).

After using one of these two scenarios you should be able to avoid the double NAT and receive your public IP address either on the AX1800 WAN (Internet) port or on the ISP modem/router WAN port.

If you set your ISP modem/router in bridge mode it is recommended to turn its wireless radio off to prevent wireless interference with the AX1800 wireless radio.

When AX1800 is set in AP mode, some of the features are not available - see this FAQ for details.

Even these features are not available in AP mode this should not affect your 5GHz band performance.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 1

Related Articles