Deco m4 no internet with guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-09 10:26:14
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.2

Hi have a m4 working well in normal mode. My internet provider is Starlink.

I have bypassed their router and plugged into the deco.

I have setup the device as 10.1.1.xxx

I am using pinhole.

we have an Airbnb and our new guests complained of no internet. On checking the guest network says it is connected but "no internet connection "

any thoughts.

Tom

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco m4 no internet with guest network
2022-03-09 16:32:48

@TomDuncan 

I think you meant to say you are running pihole DNS server. I am also going to guess it is wired, and that makes it part of Deco Main network.

Deco Guest and Main networks are isolated, DNS queries are not passing from mobile devices on Guest network to pihole DNS server attached to Main network.

Options
2022-03-09 20:13:12

@Alexandre. Yep sorry autocorrect does it again.

wired raspberry pi.

I just gave an overview of the setup here.

Main problem is guest network not working.

Tom

Options
2022-03-09 20:37:51 - last edited 2022-03-09 21:51:34

@TomDuncan 

As I explained, with your setup you do not have access to DNS server on Guest network. It is easy to verify. From device connected to Guest network pinging 8.8.8.8 should be successful, but pinging www.google.com will fail.

Pinging IP address of your pihole DNS server from device connected to Guest network should fail, too.

Without DNS server devices connected to Guest network will not be able to resolve host names.

Options
2022-03-09 20:50:51
Yes have checked. My error. Did a ping and yes all is fine with 8.8.8.8 and not google.com So is their any way to have pihole and have a guest network working. I hate ads but love our guests. Lol Tom
Options
2022-03-09 20:58:59

@TomDuncan 

did a check and found the IP address of my phone connected to the guest network is 10.1.1.33 and it's DNS points to the raspberry pi.

So is their anyway for me to delete my dns value just on the guest network..

Tom

Options
2022-03-09 21:00:25

@TomDuncan 

The only simple and obvious option I can think of is to bring back starlink router, and connect both pihole and Main Deco to router ports. As such, pihole DNS server will become an external DNS for Main Deco and should be accessible from both Guest and Main networks.

The drawback is what called "double NAT," which goes unnoticeable for most devices, but XBOX and some VPN services may complain. 

A bit more advanced solution, but not guaranteed to work 100%: have pihole DNS servers on both Main network and Guest network. Configure Main Deco with IP addresses of both DNS servers. Devices will send DNS requests to both IP addresses, one will fail and another will return name resolution. Devices that have badly implemented DNS resolution logic may fail with that setup.

Options
2022-03-09 21:16:32
I have an old tp-link router that I used before. I think the best way is forget my guest network on the deco and make a new one on the old router. Will get back on success or failure. Tom
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 841

Replies: 7

Related Articles