Can I set up an AP with TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 plus a TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I set up an AP with TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 plus a TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-21 11:37:54 - last edited 2022-04-28 04:07:35

Hi

So the place I will be staying in for the foreseeable future is not really big but in my bedroom I get pretty bad wifi signal. This is especially because the 2.4ghz signal of the router gets drowned by the upstairs neighbor's 2.4 signal and the 5ghz signal doesn't reach here because of odd configuration of the walls.

So what I thought I'd do was to get a powerline adapter with wifi. But stupid me didn't realize that the one product I ordered, the TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 does not have wifi, only ethernet cable. The ethernet powerlink works if I connect it to my computer, I can even create a hotspot with my laptop wifi card but this is far from ideal since I don't to have my computer tethered all the time.

Instead of going through the hassle of buying the proper model (the TP-LINK Kit Extensor Powerline AV500 TL-WPA4220KIT) and returning the one I bought, I was thinking of getting this wifi router/ap (TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N) and use it as an AP in conjunction with the ethernet powerline adapter I bought. From what I can glean, this is doable, but I just wanted to double check with knowledgeable people. Is this doable? how much of a pain in the a** would it be to set up? Though I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty with this, I'd rather that the process be not too difficult.

Thanks a lot.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I set up an AP with TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 plus a TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N?-Solution
2022-03-21 13:05:01 - last edited 2022-04-28 04:07:35

@SalinaSJames 

Yes, you could do that easily. Using a WR840N or WR841N (they both support AP mode).

Use the following guide to configure the device you choose in AP mode - Case 1.

Just set its LAN IP address static, outside your main router's DHCP pool and in the main router's LAN subnet.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I set up an AP with TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 plus a TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N?-Solution
2022-03-21 13:05:01 - last edited 2022-04-28 04:07:35

@SalinaSJames 

Yes, you could do that easily. Using a WR840N or WR841N (they both support AP mode).

Use the following guide to configure the device you choose in AP mode - Case 1.

Just set its LAN IP address static, outside your main router's DHCP pool and in the main router's LAN subnet.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I set up an AP with TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV600 plus a TP-Link WiFi Router TL-WR840N?
2022-04-28 04:07:02

Thanks a lot!

I tried an old huawei router and it wasn't very reliable, connection dropped and speeds were abysmal. As you suggested, will go for an access point later on. I think for video conferencing and downloads the power line with Ethernet cable will do for a while.

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 491

Replies: 2