x90 ability to force device to connect to a specific node

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-04 04:35:20
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I bought the Deco x90 to improve wireless performance with Nvidia Gamestream. I have the main deco downstairs connected to the internet and another deco upstairs in my office. The upstairs deco connects via ethernet to my PC from which I stream games to Nvidia shields. I have an Nvidia Shield upstairs and another one downstairs. Initially when I set up the deco, the upstairs shield connected to the upstairs node which is hardwired to my computer which is exactly what I wanted, given it should just be communicating directly from that node to the shield as it would have no need to go back downstairs to the main node. I tested it and it was perfect. After a bit more fiddling around when I was setting up the network, the mesh was restarted and now the upstairs shield only connects to the downstairs node. The performance I'm getting is not as good as before as now it has to do extra hops all over the mesh. I've even put a metal pot over the node downstairs to reduce the signal strength which works but even though the node upstairs is giving a stronger signal to the upstairs shield, the upstairs shield STILL connects to the downstairs node when I try to reconnect to the mesh.

Anyway, I've seen this asked for on pretty much all deco models and figured I would ask again for the x90. Users should be able to control which node a device is connecting to, it by no means should be default but it needs to be an option. @tplink cannot assume how a user will want to use their mesh and always assume that the main node is the best node. In summary this is another request to be able to select which node a device is connected to.

Options
1 Reply
Re:x90 ability to force device to connect to a specific node
2022-08-29 07:44:06

@ziplexed 

No, you can't do that, since "mesh" in the advertising for all Decos are only false advertising and have nothing to do with the real life.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 497

Replies: 1