Multiple SSID's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple SSID's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Multiple SSID's
Multiple SSID's
2022-04-08 13:40:04 - last edited 2022-12-29 09:56:57
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Hi and greetings from the UK.

I suspect my requirements are fairly common so hopefully there is a ready

solution.

Current environment:

Very straight forward, broadband conductivity via fibre to property, then via a Cable Modem and  then a WiFi Hub/Router.   This gives WiFi coverage throughout the house with a SSID of (say Adults).   

Requirements:

To use the TP-Link (TL-WA801N-EU)Access Point to create a separate WiFi network for my kids, this would be accessed via a separate SSID (say Children).

My assumption was that I could (wirelessly) link the Access Point to the primary hub via the (Adults) SSID thus giving Internet access but the Access Point would then broadcast on an SSID of (Children).  Effectively using the TP-Link as a WiFi bridge.

Reading the manual I see it is possible to set up the Access Point in Multi SSID mode but the instructions would seem to suggest the link between the Primary Router and the Access Point needs to be via an Ethernet cable.  This isn't practical as the as the two devices are at opposite ends of the house.

So in a nutshell, the question is, can I get my Access Point to link to the Internet via a separate SSID to the main house SSID.

I hope this makes sense, I not, happy to clarify.

Thanks in advance

Les W

Options
5 Reply
Re:Multiple SSID's
2022-04-09 16:32:17 - last edited 2022-04-09 17:01:02

@LesW 

Use Repeater Mode:

Description in your device user guide - here (Chapter 2.2.2.)

This way you would be able to connect to your main router wirelessly.

The downside here would be that the 801N SSID would be the same as your main router's (Adults).

If you use AP mode then you would be able to name the 801N SSID differently (Children) but you have to run a cable between devices.

There wouldn't be much difference if you name the 801N SSID differently or the same as your main router.

In both cases devices that are going to be connected (whether to Adults or Children) will be in the same local network.

So I would recommend the repeater mode if running a cable is an issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-04-10 09:23:59

Dear  @terziyski 

Initially thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

I did initially set up the AP in Range Extender mode, however as you noted, it simply 'bounces' the signal on using the same SSID.

The reason I was hoping to create an separate WIFi environment was I wanted to apply some parental control settings on the 801N

If both the primary router and the 801N broadcast the same SSID, how would I know which of these a peripheral was connected to?

If it's simply not possible to achieve what I am looking for (without connecting the two devices via an Ethernet), could you suggest an alternate device that had the capability.

Regards 

LesW

Options
2022-04-10 11:05:48

@LesW

There's another option which can help when running a cable is not possible - using existing electrical wiring - PLC.

While you can use a power-line adapter to mitigate this issue, the 801ND still lacks features related to Parental Controls you are after.

Traditionally these features are implemented in the main router device. Access Point devices are mainly used to expand the wireless coverage of the existing main router.

So if you don't have any Parental Controls features existing in your main router you won't be able to achieve that from the 801ND side.

What I would do in this situation (talking about a budget solution):

Use another cheap wireless router which has Parental Controls feature and connect it using a power-line adapters to your main router.

This way you'll be able to control your children Internet access (from the second router) and isolate their local network from your primary router one.

That implies introducing a double NAT (with that second router), but given your goal I believe it won't be an issue for you or the children.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-04-12 10:06:37

Dear  @terziyski 

Again thank you for your helpful and informative response.

It seems the my initial choice of a 801ND was flawed, must admit the belief it had parental control features was an assumption rather than based on research.   However and again reading the manual, there appears to be a mode called Repeater/Bridge mode (see below) that implies that the Host Router and 801ND can be linked via WIFi but the broadcast from the 801ND can be either the Host Router SSID or the 801SD SSID.   The inference is the 801ND SSID could be different to the Host.   Equally could be the text is misleading and it actually means the SSID will be the same but the signal could be emanating from either the Host or the 801SD.

Quick final question, irrespective of the mode you use, do you disable the DHCP service  on the 801 (assuming their is one) as you wouldn't want it to conflict with the Host DHCP leases.

Again thanks for your support, much appreciated.

LesW

Options
2022-04-12 13:27:54 - last edited 2022-04-12 13:29:11

@LesW 

Yes, that's an option in 801ND user guide.

But in reality you can check when switch 801ND to "Range Extender" mode and see if there's such an option - it really depends on 801ND current FW implementation.

If it's there, even better - you wanted different SSIDs initially.

And yes, in that mode the DHCP should be OFF so it won't interfere with your main router DHCP server - refer this guide.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 761

Replies: 5

Related Articles