Deco m5 in AP mode provides only half of available speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-11 10:55:57
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Hello,
I have a Deco M5  u it connected via ethernet cable to my ISP's router and set up in AP mode.
My ISP provides me with 1000 mbps , which i get when connecting my oc directly to the router,  but when i connect my pc via ethernet cable to the deco unit, i get only about half of this (around 500 mbps) tested on the pc using  speedtest.
Seems that in router mode i get much higher results somehow.
But i do need to use the deco as an AP as i need my ISP's router to operate.

Please help me to get back my other lost 500 mbps.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco m5 in AP mode provides only half of available speed
2022-04-11 13:37:10

@Daniel_t 

I also have Deco M5 running in AP mode, and when I tested its Ethernet speed with desktop computer wired to M5, I was getting up to 940 Mbps. 

Two things to consider:

1. You should be running speed test with Ookla app that you can install on PC. Do not use speedtest web page to run speed tests in Web browser on Internet connections faster than 300Mbps. This is Ookla recommendation.

2. The best I ever got from M5 WiFi is 475Mbps, with average WiFi speeds in the range of 300Mbps-400Mbps. Even if your Ethernet connection from M5 is truly 500Mbps, and this is not some sort of speed test glitch, it is still more than M5 WiFi is capable of. Meaning, your devices that are connected by WiFi to M5 won't be throttled.

Options
2022-04-11 14:35:14

@Alexandre. 
Hi,i was getting the same results in Deco's native speed test within the app, and also between 400-500 mbps with Wifi standing right next to the deco.

The strange thing is that while the deco operates in router mode, even on Wifi im getting more then 500.

So its a nuclear to me why is there a sort of limitation to the bandwidth while in AP mode.

is there a workaround to that?

Options
2022-04-11 15:48:40 - last edited 2022-04-11 15:50:01

@Daniel_t 

You may be facing different speed test reporting issues.

Deco app speed test for M5 and M9 Plus has an issue: when Deco runs in Access Point mode, that test reports approximately 500Mbps, even with gigabit Internet. You may not be able to realize it is a reporting issue when you use M5 as its WiFi speed is usually under 500Mbps, but with M9 Plus I can get 650Mbps on WiFi, and yet Deco app speed test only reports 500Mbps on wired link. 

When I have found that, I tested Ethernet speed with both M5 and M9 Plus. I wired them one after another to my desktop PC with gigabit NIC. Ookla speed test on PC kept giving me 940Mbps, Deco app insisted I only have 500-550Mbps wired speed.

Before upgrading to gigabit, I had 300Mbps Internet and Deco app reported correct link speed. 

I haven't tried Deco M5 in Router mode, but from other people commenting on this forum I know this reporting bug is not present when Deco runs in Router mode.

For that reason, I would recommend not to trust Deco app speed test for M5, when Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode and your Internet speed is above 500Mbps.

----------------------

There is no workaround or any secret parameter you can change in AP mode. Ignore Deco app speed test. Run Ookla speed test app on PC that is wired to M5. If you can't get even 900Mbps, check Ethernet cables. 

If you don't believe it is a reporting issue, and think the issue is real - replace or return M5. Nothing else can be done, and trust my word: Deco M5 is capable of passing gigabit Ethernet traffic.

Options
2022-04-11 17:38:26

@Alexandre. 
what about Wifi then?

when i used my routers built in Wifi, i was getting around 800 mbps when standing near it.

is it possible that deco wofi is only capable of 500 mbps?

i need the deco mesh sustem mainly for wifi, the ethernet points are connected directly to the router.

Thanks.

Options
2022-04-11 20:27:06 - last edited 2022-04-11 20:27:52

Daniel_t wrote

@Alexandre. 
what about Wifi then?

when i used my routers built in Wifi, i was getting around 800 mbps when standing near it.

is it possible that deco wofi is only capable of 500 mbps?

@Daniel_t 

Deco M5 can deliver up to 475 Mbps WiFi speed on a good day. Deco M9 Plus can give you up to 630 Mbps in ideal conditions. This is for Main Deco, expect less from Satellite Decos wirelessly connected to Deco mesh.

Check if your router supports WiFi 6. If you are not sure, check link speed on device you use to run speed tests. How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client. If you see link speed over 866 Mbps, that for sure means your router is WiFi 6 and your mobile device used WiFi 6 to connect to it.

If you want faster WiFi speeds, consider WiFi 6 capable WiFi mesh. From TP-Link, that would be Deco X-series (X20, X60, X90, etc.), but you don't need to limit yourself with Deco. Luckily, there is large selection of WiFi 6 mesh systems from different brands.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2712

Replies: 5

Related Articles