Archer C6 as AP with Static IP shows exclamation mark / orange internet light (but I have internet)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 as AP with Static IP shows exclamation mark / orange internet light (but I have internet)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-23 10:19:55 - last edited 2022-04-23 10:22:07
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

I have my router connected to my ISP's modem/router (Ubee EVW32C) via WAN port on my TP-Link and set to Access Point mode.

So here's the thing: When I have my Archer C6's connection type set to Smart IP, there is a checkmark, light is green and router itself can access internet (can be seen when checking for firmware updates).

However, when I set to my desired static IP address, it turns orange, shows exclamation mark, router can't check for firmware updates, but all of my connected devices (both via cable and Wi-Fi) have access to the internet just fine (so basically, only the router itself can't access the internet, while all the other devices connected to it can).

Even though it doesn't really affect my workflow since all my devices connected to it have internet normally, It's bothering me more than it should because I'm wondering what could be the problem, and I don't want internet indicator showing me that I have no internet when I clearly do.

Does anyone have an idea what could possibly be the cause?

In case you're wondering what my goal is with setting static IP, I want my ISP's modem/router to be 192.168.0.1 and my Archer C6 to be 192.168.0.2 (plus I also have Raspberry Pi blocking ads acting as DNS server with Pi-Hole which is on 192.168.0.3). I can't do DHCP reservation for 0.2 on my ISP's router since I have set the DHCP range to be from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.254 so I can have from 0.1 to 0.10 for my static addresses.

I've tested multiple cases, so if you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to provide answers in comments below.

Thanks in advance!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C6 as AP with Static IP shows exclamation mark / orange internet light (but I have internet)
2022-04-23 11:40:51 - last edited 2022-04-23 11:41:18

@pajser92 

This has been observed before and the reason for that is unknown - check this thread for reference.

If your ISP router has address reservation option you can expand its DHCP server pool to 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254, reserve 192.168.0.2 for C6 and 192.168.0.3 for Pi-Hole.

Then you can leave C6 on Smart IP, Pi-Hole with a dynamic IP address and everything should be fine.

If you don't like this approach you can test the following:

Change your ISP router's Internet connection DNSs to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 and reboot the C6.

Check if that makes any difference to the C6 Network State.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer C6 as AP with Static IP shows exclamation mark / orange internet light (but I have internet)
2022-04-23 11:59:51 - last edited 2022-04-23 12:00:34

@terziyski Thanks for your quick reply!

terziyski wrote

This has been observed before and the reason for that is unknown - check this thread for reference.

I have actually read this post before I decided to write my own, because it closely resembled my situation, but with some minor differences.

terziyski wrote

If your ISP router has address reservation option you can expand its DHCP server pool to 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254, reserve 192.168.0.2 for C6 and 192.168.0.3 for Pi-Hole.

Then you can leave C6 on Smart IP, Pi-Hole with a dynamic IP address and everything should be fine.

Yes, that occurred to me as a last resort, but I wanted to check here first if it's something that can be solved properly.

I'm not a fan of that solution, but if I decide to go for it, I'll probably keep server pool range as it is, and just put Archer C6 at the last address in the range (..0.254) to keep reserved ones separated from those dynamically assigned.

Also, Pi-Hole must have fixed address because it's what Primary DNS server field in my ISP's router settings needs to hit, but it can also be solved with reserving DHCP.

terziyski wrote

Change your ISP router's Internet connection DNSs to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 and reboot the C6.

Check if that makes any difference to the C6 Network State.

I tried putting 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 as tertiary and secondary, while having 192.168.0.1 (my ISP's DNS server) as my primary DNS server, but that didn't change anything. I might try doing it your way, but I don't think it has anything to do with DNS settings.

I might try contacting TP-Link's official support via email, maybe that's something that can be fixed via firmware update?

Options
2022-04-23 17:10:12

@pajser92 

You misunderstood my second proposal.

I've meant changing your ISP "Internet connection" DNSs from default to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 (if that's possible in the ISP router).

That's different than the DHCP server settings where you put 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.3 as a DNS for your LAN client devices.

Since I don't know where these are in your ISP router I'll post where they are in TP-Link router just for example:

Internet connection DNSs:

While DHCP server DNSs are for your LAN client devices (that's how you invoke your Pi-Hole in a TP-Link router):

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-04-24 05:43:45

@terziyski 

Yes, I understood what you were trying to say, maybe I didn't explain what I did the best way.

I usually have only one setting for my primary DNS: 192.168.0.3, because it's the address of Raspberry Pi who then handles all of the DNS traffic. I have him set up to use Cloudflare's and Google's DNS servers (so 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8) while at the same time blocking all of the domains from the blocklist. DNS is like a phonebook where domains are connected to IP addresses, and if some domain can't be found in primary DNS' list, it searches secondary and so forth. When I tested for DNS settings I changed from having only 192.168.0.3 as a primary option to having 192.168.0.1 as primary, 1.1.1.1 as secondary and 8.8.8.8 as third option, because I thought even if for some reason my ISP's DNS server can't find TP-Link's address, the other two options will step in and find it (which didn't happen).

Of course, I did all of those DNS settings in my ISP's router, since my TP-Link is only acting as an Access Point and can't change those things.

I have currently set DHCP reservation of my Archer to the last available address in the range (192.168.0.254) and called it a day, but will now try to set it to static and change DNS fields to be as you said, just to test the possibility of DNS being the culprit, but as I said, I'm 90% sure it isn't.

Options
2022-04-24 06:02:05 - last edited 2022-04-24 06:03:05

@terziyski 

Just to report that I tried your second proposal, and sadly it didn't work as assumed.

I set the DNS settings on my ISP's router like this:

And Static IP on my AP, but it's the same thing:

So DNS settings definitely aren't the issue.

Options
2022-04-24 09:05:40 - last edited 2022-04-26 08:33:16

@pajser92 

Well, it seems that there's no other option but to use the first scenario.

Although there's a beta FW release for C6 v2 EU region here.

You can upgrade and test but if it doesn't resolve your issue, you can revert back to your current FW release.

A new option which this release offers is to disable OneMesh feature if you don't use it.

Options
2022-04-26 02:03:32

terziyski wrote

@pajser92 

Well, it seems that there's no other option but to use the first scenario.

Although there's a beta FW release for C6 v2 EU region here.

You can upgrade and test but if it doesn't resolve your issue, you can revert back to your current FW release.

The new feature which this release offers is to disable OneMesh feature if you don't use it.

@terziyski 

Thanks for mentioning that, I tried installing the beta release, but unfortunately there was no difference.

I've emailed TP-Link support to see whether they'll have something to say. I'm aware there is almost zero chance they will help me (or update the firmware, since the last update came almost 2 years ago), but it's worth a shot. Until then, I'll go with the first scenario.

Thanks again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 967

Replies: 7

Related Articles