Deco M5 hacked?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 hacked?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 hacked?
Deco M5 hacked?
2022-04-26 12:45:48 - last edited 2022-04-26 12:46:57
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

It appears that my Deco M5 setup was hacked today. Suddenly I was forwarded to an infected page presented as a "log-in page" when I tried to connect to our wifi. Wired connectivity still worked. I hurried and did a factory reset on all three of our units and now everything works again, so unfortunately I can't report any more details than this.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 hacked?
2022-04-26 13:15:16 - last edited 2022-04-26 13:16:08

@SimonKrogh 

It is possible that one of your neighbors created WiFi network with the same SSID as yours, and your device tried connecting to their WiFi network. This could have been mistake on their part, a prank, or an attempt to trick you to reveal login credentials to your WiFi network.

If you are concerned about security of your home network, in Deco Main Network configuration enable "Hide this network from WiFi lists," change Network Name (SSID) of your home network to something completely different, make all your mobile devices forget old SSID and connect them to new SSID only you know and nobody can see when they scan for WiFi networks nearby.

This will protect from most hacks or pranks, where someone tries to impersonate your WiFi home network.

Options
2022-04-26 13:49:12
I don't think that's likely. Most of my neighbors are senior citizens and I don't see how resetting my own units should fix the issue if the SSID has been spoofed by people from outside.
Options
2022-04-26 23:52:27

@SimonKrogh 

Someone hacking into your Deco M5 is also unlikely. Next time it happens, if it happens, take screenshot of that login screen, it might give an idea what it is your device tries connecting to. 

My ISP router, for example, presents login screen for its Guest Network. So do many public networks. What you have seen might have been your device connecting to one of those WiFi networks it remembers, instead of Deco. Also, as I said before, could have been one of your neighbors setting same SSID as yours, and then changing it to something else. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1925

Replies: 3

Related Articles