DECO X68 - UNSTABLE NETWORK SINCE INSTALL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-10 04:59:41
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36755

A couple of months ago, I thought I'd upgrade our single router to a Deco X68 mesh router.

Since the upgrade, we have not had a stable network.

I first noticed our 5 Wyze Cam (V2) WiFi security cameras were not recording events when they should have been and whilst trouble shooting this problem, I noticed a notice popping up on the screen saying 'network unstable - moving to 360' even though each camera was reporting 3 full bars of signal. This is not ideal for 1080p cameras. Never had this problem before. Even when viewing live footage on Wyze Cams the clock record on the screen will freeze for 20 - 30 seconds then continue for a few minutes and repeat.

When streaming MMA 'Pay to View' to our Samsung TV from my mobile using WiFi from the X68 the image now takes several minutes to show clear display and stopped casting during the telecast. Never had this problem before.

We also use a Nvidia Sheild TV for streaming Netflix, YouTube etc and subscride to RealDebrid. When streaming from RealDebrid, the timing counter will run for 20 seconds before displaying RealDebrid streams which never happened before. It was practically instant.

Out ISP is Aussie Broadband and 50mbps.

I have reviewed the install and everything looks right.

The second X68 is only 6mtr from the main unit.

Both units always Green never Red.

Having used TP-Link products in the past and being generally happy with them, we chose the Deco X68 as our upgrade but our experience to date has been less than fantastic.

Any suggestions....?  

everything

Options
1 Reply
Re:DECO X68 - UNSTABLE NETWORK SINCE INSTALL
2022-05-10 15:41:56 - last edited 2022-05-10 21:09:12

@PrimeBrett 

You have replaced single WiFi router with WiFi mesh. What you have found is old devices may not understand WiFi mesh or don't know how to handle it. This is especially common with Smart TVs, security cameras and IoT devices. 

It is not TP-Link Deco specific problem. It is the problem of switching from single WiFi router to WiFi mesh. When I say "old" devices I don't necessarily mean something bought in 2010. You could buy something brand new today, but, for example, if it does not support WiFi 5GHz and only runs on WiFi 2.4GHz - that could mean its WiFi code has not been updated in ages. It could have been written when WiFi mesh was not yet a common thing for a regular household. 

So, the bad news: if you switch from TP-Link to a different WiFi mesh brand, you may see same or similar problems. Different WiFi mesh systems run on similar technology and same WiFi mesh standards. 

You can go back to single router setup you had, perhaps with more powerful router for better coverage. Also, you could consider older technology: WiFi Router + WiFi Range Extender combo. 

WiFi mesh really shines when you stream something on a smartphone while walking around the house. For stationary devices, such as security cameras and TV, old school WiFi Range Extender without mesh functionality is enough.

Having said that, there are few things you could still try with X68, which might help. Here they are:

1. Assuming you have everything connected to Deco Main Network, in Deco app turn off 5GHz for Main Network and leave 2.4GHz only. If there is a separate option for WiFi6, turn that off, too. Leave just 2.4GHz.

2. For each stationary device such as security camera and TV, in Deco app turn off "Mesh" toggle for it.

3. If possible, bring Satellite X68 to where your Samsung TV is, and connect them by Ethernet cable. Most Smart TVs have Ethernet port. Out of my personal experience, until I wired my Sony TV to Deco node by Ethernet cable, I was always unhappy with quality of streaming.

4. I checked hardware specs for Nvidia Shield TV, it has Ethernet port. Try previous suggestion, but with Nvidia Shield TV. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 1

Related Articles