Problems with USB HDD access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-22 20:39:28
Region : Switzerland

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.31 Build 130319 Rel.57876n

ISP :

I have two of these routers deployed at home, one as an access point (WAN unplugged).
I am having trouble accessing USB storage connected to the access point reliably.
A Windows 7 client with wired LAN connection connects reliably.
2 Win XP clients connecting via WLAN have problems.
They can connect initially, but if the connection is interrupted for some reason (e.g. sleep mode) it cannot be reestablished.
A dialog appears requesting login information for the share, but the information is not accepted.
In order to reconnect one of the XP clients, I have had to stop and restart the sharing service on the router, which is unacceptable for everyday use.
I also have a Linux computer (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) which does not connect at all. The login information is rejected.
it seems that there may be 2 different problems involved.
1. I have read that Linux needs to access by host name rather than IP address. However, the suggested hostname, "tplinklogin.net" delivers the address of the router providing DHCP (the one connected to the WAN), not the one with the storage connected (functioning as access point).
2. I don't find any information on how or what to specify for domain or workgroup. Since the TP-LINK instructions are silent on this point, I usually do not specify a domain. However, I have also tried using "SOHO_ROUTER", the client computer name, the workgroup name and the IP address of the router serving as storage server, because I have seen these values supplied automatically as domain at login attempts at various times by the different clients. I do not have a domain server. My Windows and Linux clients can see each other across the LAN without problems.
How can I access the storage reliably from all of my clients?
How and where can or should I specify a workgroup or domain name for login?

P.S. I have succeeded in mounting the shared volume under Ubuntu 12.04 by using the IP address and accepting the default WORKGROUP, which is automatically filled in to the domain field of the login dialog after entering username and password. It is then necessary to click "Continue" to open the connection.

The problem with the XP client persists. It appears even when the client is on AC power and neither goes to sleep nor disables the network interface.
Apparently this is because Windows drops inactive network connections all by itself after a while. If I then try to access the drive I mapped to the router's shared drive in Explorer, Explorer hangs.

How can I prevent this from happening, or at least recover, short of restarting the router's sharing service?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Problems with USB HDD access
2013-05-28 15:48:40
On the all XP clients,can you use the Windows key+R at the same time and then type in\\AP's IP address. Another thing is that you can have a test to connect the Windows Xp client to router or AP by a cable and see if you can Access the HDD reliable or not since Win 7 is OK at the moment.
Options
Re:Problems with USB HDD access
2013-05-29 21:12:14

gmail wrote

On the all XP clients,can you use the Windows key+R at the same time and then type in\\AP's IP address.

This will let me log in to the router's control panel, but does not help to restore the share connection, even if I use \\\volume1 (for example).

$Another thing is that you can have a test to connect the Windows Xp client to router or AP by a cable and see if you can Access the HDD reliable or not since Win 7 is OK at the moment.

Direct (hard-wired) connection to the router also doesn't help. Meanwhile I have also had this problem with Windows 7. If I change networks (between wired and wireless connection), the share is no longer accessible until I stop and start the sharing service on the router. Rebooting the client does not help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 2

Related Articles