M9 suddenly unreliable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M9 suddenly unreliable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M9 suddenly unreliable
M9 suddenly unreliable
2022-05-28 20:23:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

So for the last two years my Deco M9 three pack have all running mostly seamlessly. The odd reboot here and there but then that's to be a expected.

however in the last two weeks I've had persistent outages. Looking at the deco app when this happens I'll get two symptoms:

1) all three will go offline

2) the main deco will show as having no internet connection and display a red light

From here three things will happen:

1) I'll loose connectivity internally (I have a nas and it'll just drop its connection)

2) I'll lose my connection externally

3) My connection to the Mesh network will be broken and I'll lose wifi connection

Normally within 90 seconds the connection is restored. However that means anything connected by WiFi is constantly disconnecting and then reconnecting and it's infuriating.

My network map looks like this:

EE router

Main deco sits next to this and it connected by fly lead.

The second deco is upstairs and is connected by cat6. My PC is connected to this by cat6 and loses connection with everything else.

Then a third deco is linked to the second via WiFi situated in a back room.

2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are active.

Fast roaming and beamforming are disabled.

The deco's are set as AP.

The original reason for these were to provide a good strong connection for things like the Sky box, the Ring Cameras, and my Model 3, all of which have crappy reception over wifi. This far the problem was fixed, but now it's just trash dropping connections 2, 3, 4 times in an hour, then not at all for a couple hours.

at this point I just want to box them up and put them on eBay, but if I can fix the issue I'd rather they were back to the usual near flawless selves.

Help?

Options
2 Reply
Re:M9 suddenly unreliable
2022-05-29 00:23:12

@AdamPV 

I have home network and Deco mesh setup similar to yours. I have Internet over coaxial cable. I dealt with the issue that has similar symptoms to what you described. In my case, the problem was not with Deco but with ISP modem/router and coax.

In my case, just like in yours, all outages were at random times during day and night, always lasted just under 2 minutes, Deco mesh recovered on its own every time. The same outage duration was the most puzzling part, but ISP Tech Support, when they found the root cause, explained it and it made sense.

I would suggest you focus on EE router first. Does it report Internet connection uptime in its configuration web pages? You may need to figure where to find that info. 

Here is an example from my cable router:

LAN Uptime is only reset when router is rebooted, WAN Uptime tells when my router dropped its Internet connection. This picture shows I rebooted my router 18 days ago, 10 days ago was last time it dropped Internet connection. 

My router has very limited reporting capabilities, it only shows last time it lost Internet connection. Your router might report that info differently, but you need to find it.

If you are comfortable with running simple powershell scripts from command prompt in Windows, I can share mine I wrote to get detailed stats of when my cable router dropped internet connection. I can notice when it happens during the day, but running script for 24 hours gave me clearer picture of frequency and duration of outages, which was useful when I had conversation with ISP Technical Support.

Options
Re:M9 suddenly unreliable
2022-05-29 18:46:33

@Alexandre. 

this is really helpful thanks. I didn't consider that it might be the router, and bang on the money the EE router is tripping up over and over losing its connection and no amount of restarts seems to make a difference. I'll contact EE and ask for a new router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 291

Replies: 2

Related Articles