Router is bricked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router is bricked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router is bricked
Router is bricked
2022-05-31 23:31:39
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

yesterday I have successfully installed openwrt and I intended to use adblock feature directly on router. However, I wasn't really happy about the result since I was getting 4th of my normal speeds. This led me to the point that I tried getting the original firmware back onto it. The tftp method hasn't worked though. After hours of unsuccessfull attempts I tried to use the feature build into the openWRT to install different firmware using GUI and after clicking submit button the device after turning on just ligths up a power indicator and for few seconds a lock icon. There are no signs that It is in fact in recovery mode. I tried using Linux and getting some logs out of it but nothing shows up (not a single line). I used LAN 1 connection straight to my laptop and the interface's ip address was set to 192.168.0.66 with /24 subnet mask.

Can anyone give me some piece of advice or tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

Any answer is appreciated :)

Thank you

Options
1 Reply
Re:Router is bricked
2022-05-31 23:39:09

@JosefZetek 

Sorry, you're out of luck :(

This happened to me just yesterday.
I flashed OpenWRT on my Archer C60 (I didn't like the lack of a domain blocking feature on the original firmware) and flashed back to the original firmware (4th of my slow speeds like you said, though rebooting the router regained the speeds for a few minutes) and then no luck. Router was permanently bricked.

I tried your methods, the tftp method, even flashing a Linux OS on a USB and tinkering with the terminal. It wouldn't work.

In my case I didn't get any lock icon at all. It was only the power button staring at me indicating it is out of any sign of functionality.

I gave up and got a new router, and I advise you do the same.

And for your adblock problem I suggest sticking to the uBlock origin extension. It's available on all browsers in PC, Firefox and Kiwi Browser in Android. Not sure about iPhone.

And I would also advise you get one of the routers that have a complex web interface and do not need an app to configure. I made that mistake yesterday and I am regretting it. The domain blocking options are even worse.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 375

Replies: 1

Related Articles