TP-Link Deco M9 | Dramatic low speeds on satellite Deco's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-02 20:38:55 - last edited 2022-06-08 02:20:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest firmware

Dear All,

Would someone please suggest what to do to solve my very slow deco 2 and deco 3 speeds?
After yesterday's installation, all seemed OK: Green lights on all decos. 300 Mbps download on the basement. However on the 1st floor and on the 2nd floor (both floors with their #2 and #3 own deco) the speeds are dramatically low: On the first floor I am at 10Mbps only..... ;-((   Situation: Router/Modem from my internet supplier (Ziggo in The Netherlands). Basement deco #1 is connected with internet cable. Reading the forums, I disabled UPNP and SIP ALG. I also tried switching to Access Point modus, but that did not help either. I moved the deco's around... still bad speeds. Surely, I am doing something wrong. Please kindly advise. Thank you so much!

Kindest regards.
RikHCA

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Deco M9 | Dramatic low speeds on satellite Deco's-Solution
2022-06-07 13:00:30 - last edited 2022-06-08 02:20:53

Dear All,

Thanks to the great and quick help from the TPLINK customer support team in The Netherlands,
the problem has been solved, by applying these changes:

- AP modus

- Fast roaming

- changing the location of deco #2

I achieve good speeds now.

Thank you again. Kind regards.

@RikHCA 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link Deco M9 | Dramatic low speeds on satellite Deco's
2022-06-03 00:21:24 - last edited 2022-06-03 00:22:25

@RikHCA 

What is the Deco M9 Plus firmware version?

What are floors made of: concrete, wood?

This is what I can suggest for troubleshooting:

1. Switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode and keep it in Access Point mode while you are troubleshooting Satellite Deco speeds.

2. Power off Satellite Deco #3 and leave just Satellite Deco #2 running, the one that is closest to your Main Deco.

3. Install OOkla speed test app and use that app for speed testing. Make sure it chooses the nearest server to where you are. 

4. Turn off WiFi 2.4GHz on Main network:

5. See what Satellite Deco says under Signal Source, it should be similar to the following:

What does your Satellite Deco show?

6. If Signal Source is less than perfect, place Satellite Deco right above Main Deco and check Signal Source again. Did it improve and what is it now?

7. Verify that device on which you run speed tests is connected to Satellite Deco, not to Main Deco. That device must be placed about 6 feet (2 meters) away from Satellite Deco and in direct line of sight.

With all of the above done, what speeds are you getting now on device connected to Satellite Deco on WiFi 5GHz?

Options
Re:TP-Link Deco M9 | Dramatic low speeds on satellite Deco's
2022-06-03 06:43:13

Hi Alexandre!

THANK you for your advice and considerations.
I have followed all the steps, but no improvement, unfortunately. The only thing I still need to do, is to move deco #1 and deco #2 closer. I will do that later today (after work). I have concrete floors, but deco #2 is 3 meters from an open wooden stairways, and on the basement floor the #1 deco is 4 meters from this stairways, so their signals should meet easily. Firmware version: 1.5.6 (no updates available). Thanks for the screenshot of signal source. My signal shows only one line, in orange color.

Thank you again.

Kind regards.

Rik HCA

@RikHCA 

Options
Re:TP-Link Deco M9 | Dramatic low speeds on satellite Deco's-Solution
2022-06-07 13:00:30 - last edited 2022-06-08 02:20:53

Dear All,

Thanks to the great and quick help from the TPLINK customer support team in The Netherlands,
the problem has been solved, by applying these changes:

- AP modus

- Fast roaming

- changing the location of deco #2

I achieve good speeds now.

Thank you again. Kind regards.

@RikHCA 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 506