X60 better range than m9plus (Wifi only)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-05 19:45:01 - last edited 2022-06-06 20:26:03
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have 3 Deco M5s, with no ethernet backhaul. These work brilliantly in the house, but the signal to my garage (where I have a security camera) is really poor. I moved one of the deco's into the garage, which has helped but it only shows 1 bar. So I want to improve the connection to the garage, and am looking for options to expand/upgrade the mesh network.

I can only get 28mbs from my ISP, but it seems to make sense to future proof if I can, and so was thinking that a couple of X20s or X60s should have better range, given that there is some signal with the m5s. However I'm wondering if it may be better to go with the m9 plus given such poor bandwidth in my area, and get the dedicated backhaul channel. Will these have the same basic problem that the signal strength is just weak? Would the X60s be any better?

Of course the X90s have tri band and are future proofed, but I can't justify the cost!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X60 better range than m9plus (Wifi only)?-Solution
2022-06-06 20:21:41 - last edited 2022-06-06 20:26:03

@SimonGA 

I can make WiFi technology roadmap simple for you: newer WiFi systems provide faster WiFi speeds on shorter distances. Also, the newer WiFi system is, the more sensitive to obstacles, such as walls, it will be.

So, if you want to improve WiFi speed at your house, X60 may be able to do that. If you want better connection to garage, that won't work and you'll just waste your time and money.

Try powerline adapters. I tested with pair of old ones I have and they were capable of establishing at least 50-70Mbps link between them. That is more than enough for your needs. Note that powerline adapters do not cut by half Internet link speed - they can cut by half (and more) their claimed speed. For example, if you buy gigabit powerline adapters, expect less than 500Mbps speed through them. May be even less if electric wires are too long or not well insulated. In any case, that exceeds your Internet speed.

Not every powerline adapter set is compatible with Deco. Hard to tell which will be, but it appears those with single Ethernet port are often compatible, and those than have more than one ether port - often not. 

Buy powerline adapters from the place with return policy, so that you can send them back if something is not working.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:X60 better range than m9plus (Wifi only)?
2022-06-06 19:37:22

@SimonGA 

Any Deco node you place in the garage will suffer from the same problem of weak WiFi signal between garage and house. To fix "the garage problem" you need to look for different solutions.

For example, if it is attached garage, you may be able to lay Ethernet cable from house to garage, and connect Deco M5 to Ethernet.

If garage is detached, but electrical power fed from the house, you may try powerline adapters. I can give recommndations on that subject.

If this is "furnished garage with TV cable," there are options to bring Ethernet over cable. If it is the case, I can give more details.

Options
2022-06-06 20:06:18

Thank you @Alexandre. 

Laying ethernet would be tricky. I had thought about powerline, but as I only have 28mbs to start with, my experience of it previously is that you can loose over 50% of bandwidth?

Given that I currently have one bar showing with the m5, would the X60 not improve on that?

Options
Re:X60 better range than m9plus (Wifi only)?-Solution
2022-06-06 20:21:41 - last edited 2022-06-06 20:26:03

@SimonGA 

I can make WiFi technology roadmap simple for you: newer WiFi systems provide faster WiFi speeds on shorter distances. Also, the newer WiFi system is, the more sensitive to obstacles, such as walls, it will be.

So, if you want to improve WiFi speed at your house, X60 may be able to do that. If you want better connection to garage, that won't work and you'll just waste your time and money.

Try powerline adapters. I tested with pair of old ones I have and they were capable of establishing at least 50-70Mbps link between them. That is more than enough for your needs. Note that powerline adapters do not cut by half Internet link speed - they can cut by half (and more) their claimed speed. For example, if you buy gigabit powerline adapters, expect less than 500Mbps speed through them. May be even less if electric wires are too long or not well insulated. In any case, that exceeds your Internet speed.

Not every powerline adapter set is compatible with Deco. Hard to tell which will be, but it appears those with single Ethernet port are often compatible, and those than have more than one ether port - often not. 

Buy powerline adapters from the place with return policy, so that you can send them back if something is not working.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-06-06 20:31:12

@Alexandre. 

Thank you again for your advice. In my previous house I had 300mbs, but the basic TPLink powerline (TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter) only provided around 30mbs. However thinking about it, that was a seperate mains circuit so I may search through my drawers to see if I can find it and give it a go!

Options
2022-06-06 20:37:36

@SimonGA 

If possible, and it is stongly recommended, connect both powerline adapters to electric wire on the same circuit breaker. 

After you confirmed you have Internet over powerline link, connect garage Deco M5 to powerline adapter you now have in garage. If Deco M5 recognizes powerline link, you'll see it reported as Ethernet under Signal Source in Deco app for that Deco node. 

Example:

If you don't see that, let me know and I'll provide additional troubleshooting steps.

Options
2022-06-06 21:19:35

@Alexandre. 

I'll try that as soon as I get a chance tomorrow. I'm not sure which circuit breaker the garage is on, as this house had an extension in the past, but I don't have much choice in that anyway, so best to just give it a try.

Thank you very much, you have been far more helpful than the TP Link live chat :)

Options
2022-06-07 11:35:46

@Alexandre. 

Unfortunately the powerline connected okay, but had a flashing green light for a poor signal. The bandwidth was unusable, worse than from the M5 over wireless. The electrical curcuits in my garage are poor, and in fact my Hive camera often switches off as it seem to be particularly sensitive to this.

So I have ordered 2x X60 which will give me Wifi 6 for future proof, and allow me to spread the units in a way that may give a better signal to the garage. I will also get an electrician to look at the wiring in there - when I have more cash available!

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 534

Replies: 7

Related Articles