Unable to connect Deco P9 to my broadband

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-06 17:37:33 - last edited 2022-06-07 03:21:52
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I want to set up a WiFi mesh and have bought a pack of 3 Deco P9 units.

I have currently got my broadband fed straight from the wall to a Technicolor TG589 vac V2 router which is connected to broadband via a VDSL cable. The router has 4 ethernet ports on the back, to which are connected (1) my PC; (2) a Sky Q master box and (3) a Sonos bridge. 

I assumed that I would be able to use the fourth port to set up the Deco P9 main unit, but am told by Support that this is not possible as the broadband is set up as a PPPoE connection - I am told that I therefore need to plug the P9 unit straight into the wall and use this as my main router, but could then hook up the existing router to the P9 by cable to run off the system.

However, I've tried plugging the P9 directly into the broadband socket using a VDSL to Ethernet cable, but it doesn't recognise any connection. I'm also dubious that then cabling the P9 to the existing router using another Ethernet to VDSL cable will actually work. There aren't enough Ethernet sockets in one P9 unit to service all of the connections I need anyway, so I can't just replace the exisiting router (even if I could get the P9 to connect to the internet, which I can't at the moment).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get set up properly ?

PS - Given up on Technical Support as there's no Live Chat currently available and the telephone service is too busy to connect most of the time

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to connect Deco P9 to my broadband-Solution
2022-06-06 19:31:03 - last edited 2022-06-07 03:21:52

@Dammers 

Your initial assumption is correct. You should connect Deco P9 main unit to available LAN port of your router, using Ethernet cable that came with Deco set, and do the initial setup of Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Unable to connect Deco P9 to my broadband-Solution
2022-06-06 19:31:03 - last edited 2022-06-07 03:21:52

@Dammers 

Your initial assumption is correct. You should connect Deco P9 main unit to available LAN port of your router, using Ethernet cable that came with Deco set, and do the initial setup of Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to connect Deco P9 to my broadband
2022-06-06 19:35:32

@Alexandre. 
Thanks Alexandre 

However, doing that I am unable to connect the P9 with the internet - according to Support, this is because the PPPoE set up of my internet provider will only allow it to contact with one device, and in this case the existing router will always take priority, so the P9 device is unable to connect at all. Not sure how you get round that issue.

Options
2022-06-06 19:48:07 - last edited 2022-06-06 19:48:22

@Dammers 

Did you get your set of P9 from your ISP, and they are preconfigured? Because, if you bought them elsewhere, I wonder which Support (ISP, TP-Link) told you about PPPoE?

I am going to assume you bought Deco P9 elsewhere, and they are not preconfigured by your ISP. Here is initial Deco Setup Walkthrough document: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592

Follow it, skip Step 5 (Disconnect your modem’s power), and when reaching Step 11 of that document, Select "Connection Type: Dynamic IP." Do not file the VLAN settings.

Options
2022-06-06 19:57:18

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre

The P9s were purchased off Amazon. My ISP confirmed that the internet type setup for my existing router is PPPoE. It was TP-Link support that told me the P9 could not be wired into the existing router because of the PPPoE restriction. 

Not sure your set-up walkthrough is helpful as my current ISP's internet setup is not Dynamic IP.

Options
2022-06-06 20:12:40 - last edited 2022-06-06 20:24:53

@Dammers 

You are not connecting Main P9 directly to your ISP. You do connect it to LAN port of your Technicolor TG589 router. As such, it must be configured like any device connected to that router.

Example: You said PC is connected to LAN port #1 of Technicolor router. On your PC, its network configuration should be "dynamic IP." Check it if you'd like. Same configuration should be on your Main P9, connected to LAN port #4, for initial setup.

Why can't you try it?

-------------

It appears TP-Link Support misunderstood what you want to do. They must have assumed you want to replace your Technicolor TG589 router with Deco P9. That is not what you are doing when you perform initial P9 configuration.  

Options
2022-06-06 20:18:14

@Alexandre. 

Thanks again Alexandre. I will give it a try.

Options
2022-06-06 20:50:01

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre.

Problem sorted - I am very grateful to you. Many, many thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 608

Replies: 7