Performance drop despite wired backaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-21 09:21:11
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Current

I purchased a 3 set Deco X50 to fix connection issues in my home. I opted for a wired backhaul setup to minimise lag and maximise bandwidth. The main device is connectet to a 1.000 Mbit line. The actual performance ranges form 600 to 990 Mbit depending on the time of day. The second and third device see performance numbers between 600 and 700 Mbits each. But the third device shows a noticeable drop in performance after a short while (30 minutes). The performance drops significantly to about 80 to 90 Mbits downstream and around 15 Mbits upsteram down from the 50 Mbits my provider offers. It looks to me as if the device forgets that it is connected to an ehernet calbe and reverts to wireless backhaul complete with the reduced performance numbers and stop my wife from complaining. I got the X50 to get rid of previous problems, now I am getting the impression I switched one set of problems for a different set. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Performance drop despite wired backaul
2022-06-21 11:30:06 - last edited 2022-06-21 11:33:45

@hquant 

It would help if you draw the diagram how your Deco devices are connected to each other, and if through switch - also switch brand name and model number.

It appears your third Deco device either switches to WiFi backhaul, or renegotiates Ethernet link to 100Mbps from gigabit. To check which one is it, when issue happens next time, open that Deco device description page in Deco app and check what it says under Signal Source.

If Deco device uses Ethernet backhaul, you'll see info similar to this:

The speed of 80-90Mbps and Ethernet backhaul would mean Deco renegotiated Ethernet link from gigabit down to 100Mbps. The wiring will be the primary suspect in that case.

Also, check the following, recently updated, TP-Link Deco document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-06-21 11:50:51

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre, this is my setup. The only thing I can imagine is, that the direct ethernet caböe connection to the 3rd device is suspect and the Deco indeed renegotiates down to 100 Mbit. The app shows a wired connection, so I guess no wireless is involved. But would that explain the lackluster upstream performance as well? 

Options
2022-06-21 13:45:31 - last edited 2022-06-21 13:46:12

@hquant 

If there are issues with Ethernet cable, everything is possible. Including degraded upload speed.

You now know where to look. Try connecting that Ethernet cable to different ports of third X50 and Main X50, perhaps that could fix the problem. If not, consider replacing Ethernet cable, if possible. There is no switch between third X50 and Main Deco, so cable is the only suspect.

Also, for the absolute confidence in where the problem is, swap second and third Satellite X50s. If Ethernet cable is the problem, after swapping them your "new" third X50 will have degraded performance. If it is (unlikely) X50 hardware issue, the problem will move with Deco unit to its new location.

Options
2022-06-21 14:06:23
I will use a factory fresh cabel and check how that works. At the moment Vodafone dropped the internet connection entirely, but I hope they will sort things out sometime today. Thanks for your support!!
Options
2022-06-24 07:00:43

@hquant 

I have a similar layout and Deco in router mode and have low speeds too. Before I was running in AP mode with less to no speed problems. Will switch back to AP mode and see if that solves the problem. 

Options
2022-06-24 07:27:31

@DarthSonic I bought an Ethernet canble tester off Amazon. They are dirt cheap. One of the 8 twisted pair wires is broken. I assume that's the Problem. I'll get a new cable and see if that fixes it. 

Options
2022-06-24 19:08:37

@hquant 

My problem was, that I am using a Firewall that is using "ARP Spoofing" to monitor/inspect network traffic. And TP Link Deco seems to rely on ARP tables while in Router mode.

Switching Deco to Access Point mode, fixed my problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 487

Replies: 7