Omada EAP110 with CPE210 as repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 20:28:14
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.5

Hello;

We have an EAP110 in a market that is controlled by an OC200 remote (on another site), but our EAP110 does not cover the market in low.

So I liked to buy a CPE210 and configure a repeater mode with the EAP110 to cover dead zones, will the hotspot solution work with the CPE210?

Sincerely,

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada EAP110 with CPE210 as repeater
2022-06-22 21:45:22

@loloma 

Im guessing the EAP110 is an outdoor version? 

The CPE210 would work for you, but is a tad overkill for what you require.   A better solution would be to replace the 110 with a 225-outdoor, then add another 225-outdoor as a mesh AP hanging off it

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2949/

As you have a controller already, it would be a slightly more costly solution but a better one imho.   The 225 APs would also give you faster speeds, 5ghz and additional capacity, the EAP110s are showing their age now.

My concern with the CPE210 is that the EAP110 it will repeat is a N Grade device on 2.4ghz only.   Repeating this may result in awful performance, moving to 5ghz with 2x 225s in Mesh would avoid that scenario

Options
2022-06-23 10:53:23

@Philbert 

Hello and thank you for your reply, I have the mesh solution in one of my sites and it gives a better result, but the site where the EAP110s are located has less density and they are a little scattered, so less profitability.

in fact I'm going to test it with a D-Link repeater, the captive portal is displayed, but if a client connects it lets all the others pass without authentication on the D-Link repeater. so I think that with the CPE210 it will avoid this bug.

Cordially,

Options
2022-06-23 17:45:49

@loloma 

Hey

While i cant say for 100% sure, i would be fairly certain this would display the same issue with a CPE210 

The portal authentication works by allowing the MAC address of the connected device to pass through once authenticated.   The issue with any repeater type device is that the MAC address the portal will see, will be the MAC address of the repeater and not the requesting device.   The CPE will be acting on behalf of the Clients and will appear under its MAC address and hide / remove the client its acting on behalf off.   Therefore the CPE210 will be authenticated and anything attached to it also.

The reason for this is repeaters work as a central point, all the data that it pulls from the main access point is on behalf of the client.  Once it recieves it, the data is repackaged to be sent to the client.

The Main AP will only see 1 device connected and it will be the CPE210, it will then authorise anything for the CPE, this includes all its clients.

If you want portal authentication, you would need another Mesh AP unfortuantely

Options
2022-06-23 20:36:20

@Philbert 

Good evening, it can't be clearer than your explanation thank you very much!

Cordially,

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 4

Related Articles