Force smart light switch to connect to extender AC750/RE200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-27 15:42:19 - last edited 2022-06-28 08:09:40
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have created an extension of my wifi network using the same name as my main router so that when moving around the house, devices do not drop out from one and into another. The issue I have is nothing seems to be connecting to the TPlink extender. I have the tether app and there are no clients connected.

I have a smart lightswitch at the top of the stairs which keeps losing internet connection and the light turns on. I want this to connect to the extender which it should do anyway as the tplink is the same name but it does not appear to be working in this way.

Any advice?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Force smart light switch to connect to extender AC750/RE200
2022-06-28 10:08:53

@chesterflaps 

Can you connect another device to your RE200 (like laptop or a mobile) successfully ? Do you see this device in the connected clients in RE200 ?

You have configured the same name SSID on the RE200 as on your main router - does that mean you're using OneMesh ? What's your main router make and model ?

Are both bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) with the same SSID ? Usually IoT device are using 2.4 GHz wireless band only.

Use this guide to check if the RE200 is configured and positioned properly in the range of your main router.

Try to reset and re-add the smart light-switch again. To be able to connect to a new wireless access point, some IoT devices have to be reset and re-added again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-28 13:51:04

@terziyski 

Other devices seem to connect to it randomly but I suspect devices are connecting to the main router rather than the extender.

It's a sky router and I have split it off into 2.4 and 5ghz. Both are repeated on the TP link with the same names.

Options
2022-06-28 14:05:32

@chesterflaps 

You can check that via web browser for sure if you log in http://tplinkrepeater.net or http://192.168.0.254 (or whatever IP address you've set on RE200).

That would lead you to the RE200 web management interface:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-28 14:12:59 - last edited 2022-06-28 14:22:26

@terziyski 

The Xbox is on the ground floor and the RE200 is on the second floor. None of the smart light swicthes, smart bulbs on the first and second floors are connected to it.

What's more confusing is the Xbox hasn't been turned on for days

Options
2022-06-28 14:53:15

@chesterflaps 

It maybe the case that the 2.4GHz wireless signal from your sky router is stronger than the RE200 extended wireless signal and the smart devices are connecting to the sky router rather than the RE200.

The other hypotesis is the one I posted in my first post. Can you try to reset and re-add some of the smart devices on your second floor and see if they are connecting to the RE200 rather than the sky router ?

Options
2022-06-28 15:30:15

terziyski wrote

@chesterflaps 

It maybe the case that the 2.4GHz wireless signal from your sky router is stronger than the RE200 extended wireless signal and the smart devices are connecting to the sky router rather than the RE200.

The other hypotesis is the one I posted in my first post. Can you try to reset and re-add some of the smart devices on your second floor and see if they are connecting to the RE200 rather than the sky router ?

@terziyski 

You might be roght about the signal strength. I have Eero mesh system due tomorrow and that requires me to turn off the main router Wifi so that may resolve the issue.

I have tried resetting and re-adding the switch so let's see if it works. I made sure my phone was connected to the RE200 when I added the switch, so fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 649

Replies: 6