Cannot generate reports on Omada Software Controller 5.3.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-10 10:25:56 - last edited 2022-09-07 03:35:59
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I need some help in exporting the reports from the Omada Software Controller v5.3.1

I run the controller in a Docker container on a Synology NAS.

When I try to export the report as PDF from the Report tab i get the following error:

Please install Chromium before exporting the network report. Make sure you can run Chromium as root.

If i try to schedule the report I get the following error Log tab under alerts.

Any help is much apreciated.

Thank you!

Current Setup: 1x ER605 v2.0, 1x TL-SG3428X v1.0, 2x TL-SG3210 v3.0, 1x TL-SG2210MP v1.0, 2x EAP670(EU) v1.0
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Cannot generate reports on Omada Software Controller 5.3.1-Solution
2022-08-19 15:39:40 - last edited 2022-09-07 03:02:03
I run the controller in a VM right now and was having this issue. What solved it for me was to install the ppa:system76/pop repository, updating apt, and then just "sudo apt install chromium". if you install "chromium-browser" it will install the Ubuntu Snap package and will NOT work. Hopefully this helps!
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-09-07 03:35:34 - last edited 2022-09-07 03:36:48

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

I'd like to conclude the issue reported here. Hope it helps.

Problem Cause:

Limited by the permission settings of Linux, Linux Controller requires users to install chromium dependencies and ensure that chromium can be executed as root. Installing chromium using snap won't work as it cannot run as root due to the limitations of snap itself.

Solution:

To successfully export the report as PDF from the Report tab, you can follow the suggestion provided by @iamk3 (thank you for sharing your solution in post #8), install the ppa:system76/pop repository, updating apt, and then just "sudo apt install chromium".

So install a third-party ppa and use apt to install chromium on Debian-based distributions (Debian, Ubuntu). After installation, try to execute "sudo chromium" in the terminal. If the browser can be successfully launched, the report should be successfully exported.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Cannot generate reports on Omada Software Controller 5.3.1
2022-07-11 06:11:43
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-07-11 08:07:37 - last edited 2022-07-11 08:07:57

Thanks for the link!

I did open a Github issue for mbentley (the guy that created the docker image). Maybe he can have a look at the issue and give some more insight.

Current Setup: 1x ER605 v2.0, 1x TL-SG3428X v1.0, 2x TL-SG3210 v3.0, 1x TL-SG2210MP v1.0, 2x EAP670(EU) v1.0
Options
2022-07-11 11:32:40

So, part of the issue is that I don't have any version of Chrome(ium) installed in the container.  The readme and installation documentation do not go through any steps of how that should be done.  The message about running Chromium as root is interesting but I'm not sure if it is needing to be able to use sudo or something to escalate privileges.  I started with a base 5.3.1 container and just added chromium and I now get another error:

This was on a brand new install where I didn't configure anything so it might be an issue with having nothing to really export.

As a side note, I did try to run it on my actual deployment and then I get a different error:

Turns out that because of how the persistent data is stored in the container, the data/pdf and data/html directories were not being created from the install - because the entire data directory is a persistent directory so I had to do some work to make sure that they are created if they don't exist.  Not really a software related problem, just a result of how I'm building the image and telling people to use the entire data directory as a persistent volume.

The good news is that once I worked around this issue, I am back to the original "Failed to export report due to damaged software. It is recommended to reinstall the controller." error.

Options
2022-07-11 12:22:36
I also got that second error you got, and I managed to fix it by giving the folders more permissions on my Synology NAS. I know it is not very secure but giving Write permissions to those folders for the "Everyone" user worked but then I got the errors from the initial post.
Options
2022-07-11 13:35:55

It seems like expecting chromium(and everything needed to run it) to be available in something like this which is commonly run out of a lightweight container is somewhat of a flawed expectation to begin with.

Options
2022-07-28 10:48:29

Anyone from tp-link have the software dependencies on the report generation feature?

Options
2022-08-19 15:39:40 - last edited 2022-09-07 03:02:03
I run the controller in a VM right now and was having this issue. What solved it for me was to install the ppa:system76/pop repository, updating apt, and then just "sudo apt install chromium". if you install "chromium-browser" it will install the Ubuntu Snap package and will NOT work. Hopefully this helps!
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-19 16:48:23
So which error in specific were you getting? What version of Chromium does the ppa you mentioned install?
Options
2022-08-22 16:52:09

@mbentley 

I first received this one:

Installed the Ubuntu Snap and received this one:

Once I followed the above steps, I was able to export via PDF and CSV.

mbentley wrote

So which error in specific were you getting? What version of Chromium does the ppa you mentioned install?

chromium --version
Chromium 83.0.4103.116 built on Debian bullseye/sid, running on Debian bullseye/sid

Options
2022-09-07 03:35:34 - last edited 2022-09-07 03:36:48

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

I'd like to conclude the issue reported here. Hope it helps.

Problem Cause:

Limited by the permission settings of Linux, Linux Controller requires users to install chromium dependencies and ensure that chromium can be executed as root. Installing chromium using snap won't work as it cannot run as root due to the limitations of snap itself.

Solution:

To successfully export the report as PDF from the Report tab, you can follow the suggestion provided by @iamk3 (thank you for sharing your solution in post #8), install the ppa:system76/pop repository, updating apt, and then just "sudo apt install chromium".

So install a third-party ppa and use apt to install chromium on Debian-based distributions (Debian, Ubuntu). After installation, try to execute "sudo chromium" in the terminal. If the browser can be successfully launched, the report should be successfully exported.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1583

Replies: 10