Can two separate Deco systems co-exist in one house?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-12 06:39:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a Deco M5 system, which operates on 5150-5250 Mhz in the 5Ghz band. I need to set up a send mesh system for a different internet service in the same house. If I use Deco M5s, they will interfere with each other. Do all Deco systems operate on the same fixed 5150-5250 Mhz frequencies, or is there a different model that can coexist with the M5?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can two separate Deco systems co-exist in one house?
2022-07-12 13:57:31 - last edited 2022-07-12 14:18:49

@tpnovice 

Just like two separate WiFi routers can coexist in one home, so will two WiFi mesh systems. With obvious headaches of two systems management, WiFi interference and so on.

If you could explain what are you trying to solve by deploying two Deco mesh systems in the same house, perhaps there is different solution available.

Options
2022-07-12 16:29:44
Two wifi routers on the same frequency covering the same area will interfere with each other. Best case there will be packet loss and retransmission that lowers bandwidth. Worst case traffic may stall out. Another post in this forum described this problem for two neighbors with the same Deco router. That is why I want two mesh systems operating on different frequency ranges, so they will not interfere with each other. My use case is very similar to two neighbors. I have two internet services in the same household and people will dynamically select which one to connect to. Two mesh systems are required for coverage. I would prefer to use Deco mesh units. However, if they all use the same 5150-5250 Mhz frequency range, then will need to purchase a different mesh system that supports a different frequency range.
Options
2022-07-12 19:31:54

@tpnovice 

Modern WiFi routers and mesh systems, including Deco, have ability to scan environment for congested WiFi channels and automatically choose less congested ones. Deco mesh is not hardcoded to one specific channel. On start or restart it will rescan the environment and choose the channel.

There is also "Network Optimization" in Deco app that forces Deco mesh to rescan the environment and change channel if what it uses now is congested.

In theory, that means two Deco mesh systems could coexist, just like two WiFi routers in the same home that can automatically select best channel. In practice, it depends.

Deco mesh does not allow to select WiFi channel (frequency) manually. If you want that feature in your WiFi mesh, you'll need to research different brands. 

------------------

Having said that, if you need two internet services because you do not want to depend on single ISP, there are dual WAN routers. Some have both failover and load balancing modes. 

If that is your case, it would make sense to invest in such router, and attach single Deco mesh to it.

Options
2022-07-12 19:42:23
Alexandra, what you are saying does not agree with the Deco M5 manual and other posts on the is forum. The manual states that Deco M5 operates only on 5150MHz—5250MHz. That is a small 100Mhz segment of the 5GHz band. And to achieve high bandwidth, that full 100Mhz is required. My question remains unanswered. Do all Deco models use the same 100Mhz range of 5Ghz frequencies [5150-5250], or do some models have the ability to operate on other 5GHz frequencies?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 4