Expanding an TPLINK Deco E4 set? - only with addons or can i buy another set?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-03 07:30:03 - last edited 2022-08-04 06:46:06
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello All.

I have a set of 3 E4 TP link deco mesh expanders. I need to add one more - my question is can i only buy an "add on" unit? or could I buy a net new set of 2 x E4's for example and use them both as mesh nodes? or does the master unit only ever work connected to the ISP line?

The reason I ask is the cost of a single E4 is about £45 where a E4 2 node set is about £50. So if I can use 2 expanders instead of one then great.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Expanding an TPLINK Deco E4 set? - only with addons or can i buy another set?-Solution
2022-08-03 11:20:58 - last edited 2022-08-04 06:46:06

@bdlp 

You can buy a set of 2 x E4's. All Deco E4 are same hardware. Each can be used as Main and as Satellite. Buy 2 node set, add each of two new Deco E4 as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Expanding an TPLINK Deco E4 set? - only with addons or can i buy another set?-Solution
2022-08-03 11:20:58 - last edited 2022-08-04 06:46:06

@bdlp 

You can buy a set of 2 x E4's. All Deco E4 are same hardware. Each can be used as Main and as Satellite. Buy 2 node set, add each of two new Deco E4 as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Expanding an TPLINK Deco E4 set? - only with addons or can i buy another set?
2022-08-03 11:36:57

OK thanks - out of interest could i add some of the M5 flater smaller nodes?

Options
Re:Expanding an TPLINK Deco E4 set? - only with addons or can i buy another set?
2022-08-03 13:09:02 - last edited 2022-08-03 13:43:23

bdlp wrote

OK thanks - out of interest could i add some of the M5 flater smaller nodes?

@bdlp 

Yes, you can. Same thing: you can buy single M5, two-nodes or three-nodes M5 set. They can be seamlessly added to your existent Deco mesh as Satellite Deco.

From all different Deco models TP-Link sells, you may consider the following as addition to your Deco E4 mesh: Deco E4, Deco M4, Deco S4, and Deco M5.

Options
2022-08-04 12:38:05

@bdlp 

One of the reasons I went with Deco WiFi mesh instead of a different brand, is because there is no Main Node with different hardware. All Deco nodes have same hardware.

Taking your Deco mesh as an example. You plan to have 5-nodes Deco mesh. If Main Deco experiences hardware failure, you can promote any other Satellite Deco to become  Main Deco. See Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network. You'll keep running 4 nodes WiFi mesh until you decide what to do with defective unit.

For a brand that has Main Node different from Satellites, if Main Node fails, you are losing WiFi until you replace it. That makes the difference for me.

Also, even if Deco E4 becomes End of Sale, and one of your units fails after warranty, you can buy different model of TP-Link Deco and use it to replace failed unit. The selection of possible replacement models is substantial.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 537

Replies: 6