IPv6 - "invalid format" when trying to enter a IPv6 prefix/address anywhere on any TP-Link product

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IPv6 - "invalid format" when trying to enter a IPv6 prefix/address anywhere on any TP-Link product

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-03 10:00:06
Tags: #IPv6

Because there is not a single answer in this forum to this problem, I would like to discuss this topic again.

As a matter of a fact, this is a bug. So the question remains, is there any roadmap to solve this bug? Is there any know workaround?

Was anyone ever able to setup a IPv6 address in any product? As far as I can see in the forums, this happend on almost every router that exists but not a single solution was posted.

Options
4 Reply
Re:IPv6 - "invalid format" when trying to enter a IPv6 prefix/address anywhere on any TP-Link product
2022-08-03 14:45:43

@RobertMEF 

Works for me, double colon, then single colons

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:IPv6 - "invalid format" when trying to enter a IPv6 prefix/address anywhere on any TP-Link product
2022-08-03 19:26:41

ok...

Only the 2000::/3 range is allowed... how am I supposed to setup a global unicast-address in a private network? Its not the purpose of a cheap TP-Link device to exist in an environment where someone actually has its own static prefix, if Id had that amount of money, I would certainly not choose TP-Link.

Ok thanks TP-Link for disabeling IPv6 for me because I cannot afford my own prefix.

Options
2022-08-04 12:36:04

@RobertMEF 

I'd submit this as a feature request in the Requests and Suggestions forum, as it's definitely a valid ask.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-08-04 18:33:56

@d0ugmac1 

thank you, Im curious if thats gonna happen soon. 

But now thinking about this topic... I have two ISPs but I dont have my own prefix and even if I had my own prefix, I would need to announce it to both ISPs, which is very unlikely to ever happen in an non-enterprise environment (because which ISP will accept BGP prefixes).

So in the world of multi-WAN, non-BGP sites (which should be all of the multi-wan customers of tp-link), how should multi-WAN without NATing work in IPv6, because normally ipv6 is meant to be global-unicast. 

So tp-link would need to implement IPv6 NATing to enable local-unicast addresses, which costs a LOT of performance.

Taking all this into account, I dont think we will ever see that feature.

But at least tp-link should add this as documentation and error-message, so nobody needs to ask again, why local-unicast wont work.

Options