Cannot access QNAP NAS after installing Deco x60 units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-04 11:58:53
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My network:

The main Deco X60 is set as router. All components have been re-booted.

The WiFi Mesh is established across all 4 X60 Deco units.

The router assigned IP addresses all specify subnet 68

I have 3 problems:

• Neither the PC or the TV can see the Plex media server on the QNAP 2 NAS.
  • I cannot login to either QNAP admin page.
  • PC cannot see any NAS file shares

Note that if I switch off the X60 units and directly connect the main router to the 1st network switch, then, after re-booting, everything works correctly.

Please advise how I should configure things to enable visibility of the Plex media server and NAS units. Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Cannot access QNAP NAS after installing Deco x60 units
2022-08-04 14:34:01

@Col1111 

This usually happens when NAS is configured with static IP address from the IP range supported by Main Router. Now that you run Main Deco as a router with its default IP range 192.168.68.*, different from Main Router's, NAS becomes unreachable.

To fix that:

1. Restore access to NAS by "switch off the X60 units and directly connect the main router to the 1st network switch, then, after re-booting, everything works correctly."

2. Get to NAS admin page and configure NAS to obtain IP address dynamically from the router.

3. Bring back Deco mesh. If Step 2 was correctly executed, your NAS will be visible in Deco app, with status online, and it should also be under list of devices connected to Main Deco. You might need to reboot NAS and give it a minute or two, if it can't reconnect by itself.

4. In Deco app, configure IP address reservation for NAS. See How to configure Address Reservation with Deco

5. PC and TV should now be able to access NAS, if not by its name then by its IP address. You should also have access to NAS admin console.

Options
2022-08-04 20:25:45

@Alexandre. 

All NAS units use DNS and do not have a static IP address (as demostrated by their subnet compliant IP addesses obtained by the router).

I have further attempted to use the X60 as AP functions only (i.e. not router - defaulting to the main router IP DNS function), with no change.

Options
2022-08-04 20:36:47 - last edited 2022-08-04 21:07:26

@Col1111 

>I have further attempted to use the X60 as AP functions only with no change.

That is unexpected outcome, but if you are willing to run Deco in AP mode, I have a solution for you that should bypass whatever issues there are. In Access Point mode, you do not need to have Main Deco in between Main Router and rest of your network. 

So, please change your network layout the following way:

1. Set Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode.

2. Directly connect the Main Router to the 1st network switch

3. Connect Main Deco to either Main Router Ethernet port or to the 1st network switch Ethernet port. The second Ethernet port of Main Deco should be kept available, not connected to anything (at least, for now).

From what you said before, that should work: "if I  directly connect the main router to the 1st network switch, then, after re-booting, everything works correctly."

-----------

Just FYI: I run file server (NAS), backup server and print server, all three on home network with Deco mesh in AP mode. No issues whatsoever. 

Options
2022-08-05 09:58:25

@Alexandre. 

I had to reset the main Deco; however, now working in access point mode.

Thanks for your assistance!

Options
2022-10-09 04:44:13

@Alexandre. Sorry to say, the X60 is garbage. Particularly the V1 & V1.6 Costco bundles which haven't seen an update in a year or two. 

Your best bet for QNAP is an ASUS router & set the X60 as overpriced AP's. They work okay as AP's but little else & way underpowered & overtaxed for DNS or DHCP service, let alone adding in VPN function. 

I have gone to all Cisco Business/Enterprise L3+ & QNAP L2+ L3 switches for my lab, which includes 3 physical Linux Servers, 3x QNAP a TVS-877, TS-653D modified to accept a 4x NVME PCIE card & a TS-451D2 for proxy and backup. I also have 3 physical WIndows Servers (2022) and a half dozen tennant VMs running at any given time and have had ZERO issues since relegating TP-Link to menial tasks as AP's and sticking with QNAP, ASUS & Cisco. Not a single hour of downtime for those devices, while the x60's as AP's work better but still commonly disconnect from each other and require a factory reset every couple months minimum.

Options
2022-10-09 04:50:27
Let's just be honest here. Deco X60 has no business handling DNS, DHCP & more than 25 clients. They are relegated to overpriced AP's without any real security function, aside from a password. I can use WPA3 and easily brute injection to turn on WPS even in enterprise mode WPA3 & I am sorry, but hiding the SSID for guest networks IS NOT THE SAME AS allowing users to disable the guest network. Plus, relying on dropbear for secure shell/tunneling? Maybe if there were injection vulns from 2016 that are still unresolved.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1099

Replies: 6