Cannot get my E4's to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-10 15:20:30
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Last year I purchased 3 TP-link Deco's E4 and installed them using the app. At first everything was fine, a great improvement compared to what I had before (just a router) but then the problems started. The Deco's started flashing red and after a reset it worked again, briefly. I did a complete new installation but no succes. Because I was pretty frustrated at that time I decided to return to my router and not use the Deco's anymore.

Recently I had the idea to try again. But this time I wanted to use the Deco's wired (used Wifi before). I have ethernet-cables in every room. I also thought using the Deco's as an Access Point was the way to go. But unfortunately I cannot get the second Deco to work. This is what I did:

• I connected the Main Deco directly to the router and Installed it using the App
  • Main Deco worked right away. My router is not in Bridge-mode so I have two working Wifi-networks at this moment.
  • I changed the settings from Wifi to Accesspoint.
  • I connected a splitter to the second port of the Main Deco.
  • I connected an ethernet-cable (that goes to my second floor) to the splitter.
  • I went upstairs and tried to install the second Deco by connecting it with the Ehternet-cable (that is connected to the splitter).
  • I installed the second Deco using the App but the App couldn't find the second Deco.
  • I switched the settings back to Wifi (instead of Accespoint)
  • I tried to install the second Deco again, this time with succes.
  • I changed the settings from Wifi to Accesspoint again but after the restart the Second Deco is flashing Red again.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing this in the wrong order. I think the only way to set up multiple Deco's is tofirst go through the standard installation on the App. So using Wifi and having the slaves close to the main deco. But if I do that I can't change it to Accespoint because that stops the second Deco from working.

I hope somebody can help me out here.

best regards,

Rob

Options
4 Reply
Re:Cannot get my E4's to work
2022-08-10 19:59:23

@Robh77 

It should not be that hard, unless last year you had hardware failure in Deco node and now it impacts the process.

Also, you use terminology that is somewhat different from what I would have expected, so can you please clarify the following things for me:

> I changed the settings from Wifi to Accesspoint.

What is "WiFi setting?" In Deco configuration screen, you can choose for Operating Mode either Router or Access Point.

> I connected a splitter to the second port of the Main Deco.

What is "splitter?" 

-----------------------------------------------

I would suggest you rollback what you have to just one Main Deco, and repeat the process again, differently. The trick is to add Satellite Deco when it is not wired, then later connect it to Ethernet cable.

Here is how:

If everything was done right, and everything is fine with Deco hardware, you should now have all three Deco in Deco app and Deco running in Access Point mode:

Let me know if you've got to this point successfully, and if you did - next step would be to wire Satellite Deco with Ethernet.

Options
2022-08-11 07:35:04

@Alexandre. 

> I changed the settings from Wifi to Accesspoint.

What is "WiFi setting?" In Deco configuration screen, you can choose for Operating Mode either Router or Access Point.

>> I mean Operating Mode: Router (I can choose between wifi-router and Access point)

> I connected a splitter to the second port of the Main Deco.

What is "splitter?" 

>> With a splitter I mean a UTP-splitter. 

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow since I am not at home today. Thanks in advance.

Options
2022-08-14 14:39:08

I followed your instructions and got all three Deco's to work using WiFi.

Next step was wiring everything.

I started with one slave. I connected my Ethernet-switch to port 1 of the Main Deco and connected the first slave to port 1 of the switch. Nothing changed though. The app is still saying it's using WiFi and not Ethernet. This is situation two in the pic below.

I then connected the slave with port 1 to port 2 of the main deco but same result. Still using Wifi. This was situation one in the pic below.

I also read that the switch needs to support IEEE 1905.1. I don't think my old zyXEL GS-108B does not support that. That could explan

why my first try (situation two in the pic above) does

not work. But still situation one should work right?

any suggestions?

Rob

Options
2022-08-14 19:36:32

@Robh77 

Situation one should work. It is listed in General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

It should always work, because Deco nodes connect to each other directly.

I can think of two reasons why it doesn't work for your Deco mesh. One is Ethernet cable that Deco doesn't like for some reason. Try different Ethernet cable.

Another reason could be that it worked, but you didn't wait long enough to see Signal Source status updated. Deco mesh sends that update through TP-Link cloud and from there it comes back to Deco app. There may be delays.

To check this, please repeat connecting Satellite Deco directly to Main Deco with Ethernet cable, but with steps added to verify Deco app has status updated. Power off Satellite Deco and wait to see in Deco app that it is offline. Connect it to Main Deco with Ethernet cable and power Satellite Deco on. Wait to see it is online in Deco app. Check Satellite Deco signal source.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 444

Replies: 4