Deco 5 and 9 mixed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco 5 and 9 mixed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco 5 and 9 mixed
Deco 5 and 9 mixed
2022-08-22 15:52:43 - last edited 2022-08-22 15:56:09

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a three unit Deco 5 system working in my house for a number of years.  i now want to add wifi to a garden room that i have and will need an additional Deco unit.

To ensure that i get a good signal at the new location, I was thinking that it might be an idea to get 2 x Deco 9, using one as the router in place of an existing Deco 5's and the second in the new garden room.

Can anyone tell me in the Deco5's and 9's can sit happily on the same network and would using one of the 9's as the router give me better coverage?

Thanks

Alex

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco 5 and 9 mixed
2022-08-22 17:15:11

@DevonAlex 

My Deco mesh is two M9s and two M5s. Main Deco: M9. I have this set for almost two years and they work together just fine.

Main Deco M9 provides faster WiFi speeds than Main Deco M5. I tested that, and I am assuming it is because of stronger WiFi signal. It is recommended in M5/M9 mix to have Deco M9 as Main Deco, so you do plan it right.

For the pair of M9s, you'll get the most benefits if they connect wirelessly to each other. In any case they will be at least as good as M5s, but if your Satellite M9 is wirelessly connected to Main M9 and they are in proper distance from each other, wireless devices connected to Satellite M9 will get faster speeds.

If all your Satellites are Ethernet wired, it is less of a difference, but wired M9 will still provide faster WiFi speeds than wired M5.

-------------

These are speed test results from my Deco mesh set, for the reference. These are the best results I've got after dozens and dozens of speed tests. If you get, say, 10% less speed from your M5 than I am from mine, expect about 10% less from your (future) M9 comparing to mine.

Main Deco M9: 635Mbps

Main Deco M5: 475Mbps

Satellite M9 (wirelessly connected to Main Deco M9): 490Mbps

Satellite M5 (wirelessly connected to Main Deco M9): 225Mbps

My Internet connection is gigabit.

Options
Re:Deco 5 and 9 mixed
2022-08-22 17:32:25

Very many thanks for confirmation

Alex

Options

Information