RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.
RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.
2022-08-25 01:42:39
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5

This thread was locked but I have a comment.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/235352

You would think in the 2 years that has elapsed since that thread TP-Link would correct this screw up, but nope, I guess not....

This MAC Proxy thing is a bunch of BS. Nowhere in the sales info is it mentioned.

So this is why I can't get the damn RE650 working. Spent hours trying. It alters the MAC address. My Cisco Access Point has MAC filtering enabled. Guess what, it doesn't let those altered MAC addresses connect. (I disabled MAC filtering as part of my troubleshooting.)

I don't use an ISP router, I have my own domain and static IP addresses and a *real* Cisco class router and DHCP server.

The RE650 extended/repeated wifi uses 54:AF:97:xx:xx:xx which is assigned to TP-Link. It connects to the Access Point using 52:AF:97:xx:xx:xx and then also connects using 0E:44:67:xx:xx:xx. They're using 52:AF:97 and 0E:44:67 locally administered MAC address to do this.

So as mentioned DHCP doesn't hand out the correct IP address and the Cisco Access Point won't allow the connection. 

I been in IT networking for over 40 years. First TP-Link product I ever bought. Always thought whey were junk. Now I found out first hand they are junk.

Boxing it up and sending it back...

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.
2022-08-25 02:07:28

@BunchOfCrap 

So far the TP-Link Range extender working as a proxy in extender mode, and it will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address, this is not on TP-Link extenders but also used on the other manufactures which build Wifi extenders.

You could try to follow  instructions here to set up Mac filtering on router through RE

How to set up Mac Filtering on router (blue UI) to control the devices connected to the Range Extender?

- Disable Mac filtering/ Access Control feature on your router 
- Turn ON the extender and connect all the Wi-Fi devices to your extender network.
- Login Range extender web page and find the *virtual Mac of your devices as FAQ above
- Go to router web and add 1) RE 's mac  2) ALL the Mac address beginning with RE's Mac addresses on router Mac filter/ access control list 
e.g. If RE Mac is 50:C7:BF:1B:ED:C6, add all the Mac addresses with 50:C7:BF into router settings

( for dual-band range extender: add both RE's 2.4GHz & 5Ghz Mac addresses 
How to find Mac of WiFi network: on Windows computer, open cmd window, put in netsh wlan show interfaces. The BSSID is the Mac address of your Wi-Fi network )

As the workaround, users could also consider use the RE in AP mode which wires to the router via Ethernet cable. 

Options
Re:RE650 Piece. Of. Junk.
2022-08-25 03:49:11

@Solla-topee 

Did you even read my post? More importantly did you understand what I wrote?

1. The MAC filtering is not on my router it is on my Cisco Access Point.
2. I don't use an ISP router.
3. Why should I change my whole working configuration to accommodate the RE650?
4. I don't use Windows.
5. My network has Cisco access points, router and makes use of VLANS and Trunking and Bonding, I'm not about to reconfigure it just to accommodate your RE650.

My Network is setup and works the way I want it. Why should I reconfigure it just to use your Extender that uses MAC Address Proxy? I see absolutely no advantage to doing that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 167

Replies: 2

Related Articles