Weird and sudden decrease in speed using EAP225-Outdoor V1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-10 02:26:25 - last edited 2022-09-13 09:32:24
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.0 Build 20200918 Rel. 58628

I've been using my EAP225 outdoor for about 2+ years, and recently I bumped into this issue where the Access Point speed is weirdly "capped/limited" to 9Mbps download and decreased upload to >1Mbps and sometimes FAILING. I hooked up the AP to my main GPON/Router with 100Mbps speed. I tried to connect to my main router and found no issue (I can hit the 100+Mbps speed), also checked its configuration. To resolve the issue, i need to FULLY RESET the EAP225 Outdoor device which is really a pain in the a** since i need to setup everything again.

At first, I thought it was because of the LAN cable. I replaced it with a new CAT6, but the issue still persists. I hope someone could shed the light on this if this is a software or hardware issue. If this is the latter I'll be having second thoughts on buying the same brand again, I'll be happy to hear some recommendations preferably an access point/router with good signal even behind wall, wide coverage, and stability for gaming. Thank you and have a nice day!

To illustrate my setup at home:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Weird and sudden decrease in speed using EAP225-Outdoor V1-Solution
2022-09-13 09:32:17 - last edited 2022-09-13 09:32:24

@Philbert 

I think I found out the issue. Silly me haha!

Just went out troubleshooting the AP, some weird stuff happened. I realized that the LAN cable from the PoE adapter to the AP was fresh/newly replaced, but I missed out replacing the LAN cable from the PoE adapter to the router/CPE.

I replaced the troubled cable, then I noticed something has changed from the Device Information, the LAN Port got changed from 10Mbps to 1000Mbps. (Thus the speed is capped to 9Mbps before!). Now, I can hit the 100Mbps full speed :)

Cable got tired and old, it traveled back in time and downgraded itself from CAT5E to CAT3.

Finally, it was a CABLING issue. I'll also update the EAPs firmware soon. Thanks Philbert for your prompt and fast response.

Regards,

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Weird and sudden decrease in speed using EAP225-Outdoor V1
2022-09-11 20:12:13 - last edited 2022-09-12 12:45:39

@aacuanico 

Hey

There a few things we would need to know before we can help you.  On the 225 outdoors are you connected via 2.4ghz or 5ghz?   Is this different to the router direct?

Also have you tried changing the channel on the AP? 

Its unlikely a device hardware issue, usually that would stop working completely and not slow speeds.

PS.   In response to your question

access point/router with good signal even behind wall, wide coverage, and stability for gaming

Honestly... WiFi signal is WiFi signal and regardless how what AP you use a wall will have a very negative impact on it.  Speaking from experience, generally different vendors / models / specs  are really the same in terms of signal, its just a limitation of the airspace.   

There is always going to be a balance between speed vs coverage, wiring in the APs and mutiple APs all controlled by a controller is your best option.  Something like the OC200 would work with your 225 Outdoors

Options
2022-09-12 12:37:45 - last edited 2022-09-12 12:59:16

@Philbert 

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

On the 225 outdoors are you connected via 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

Yes, and both are experiencing the same issue.

Also have you tried changing the channel on the AP?

I haven't tried it, do you have the recommended channels for me to test? I just tried playing with the transmission power for both 5 and 2.4ghz to know if this is an interference problem, but unfortunately no luck.

Something like the OC200 would work with your 225 Outdoors. 

Actually, I looked into purchasing one but I only have a single EAP225 (I thought it was an overkill for my simple home setup). But, I did tried the Omada's offering of cloud-based controller. I was facing a lot of issue like the AP is disconnecting, problems with the IP renewal etc. So I did not proceed in purchasing a paid license.

As of this writing, The EAP225 seems gone haywire, I could connect sometimes to it but I couldn't manage it as a standalone AP on the Omada App. :(

Edit: Even if I could connect, it will do its thing again:

2nd Edit: Posting some of the EAP225s info:

Options
2022-09-12 19:29:00

@aacuanico 

Hey

Looking at your reply and screenshots there is little to be concerned about there, it looks to be setup fine..   so its not a config that i can see

However what firmware are you running on the AP?   5.0.6 by any chance?   Some users have started to report issues with 5.0.6 and downgrading to 5.0.5 appears to fix this..   sympotoms are not totally un-similiar to yours.  

I would try updating / downgrading to 5.0.5 firmware and see what happens then.   That would be the first good point of call

In terms of a OC200, its not required for a single AP no and really wont offer any advantage unless you are going to consider a seconed AP at some time

Options
Re:Weird and sudden decrease in speed using EAP225-Outdoor V1-Solution
2022-09-13 09:32:17 - last edited 2022-09-13 09:32:24

@Philbert 

I think I found out the issue. Silly me haha!

Just went out troubleshooting the AP, some weird stuff happened. I realized that the LAN cable from the PoE adapter to the AP was fresh/newly replaced, but I missed out replacing the LAN cable from the PoE adapter to the router/CPE.

I replaced the troubled cable, then I noticed something has changed from the Device Information, the LAN Port got changed from 10Mbps to 1000Mbps. (Thus the speed is capped to 9Mbps before!). Now, I can hit the 100Mbps full speed :)

Cable got tired and old, it traveled back in time and downgraded itself from CAT5E to CAT3.

Finally, it was a CABLING issue. I'll also update the EAPs firmware soon. Thanks Philbert for your prompt and fast response.

Regards,

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-09-13 20:27:48

@aacuanico 

AH the old cable issue, that has caught me out SO many times!!  

Glad you got sorted all the same  :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 678

Replies: 5

Related Articles