Secondary router connected to my network as access point has 0 upload speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-11 20:58:36 - last edited 2022-09-12 12:45:56

Hi all, I have the following internet connection in my main house. This works perfectly.

500/500 mbps download/upload

Main Router : Archer C64 AC1200 Gigabit 

Gigabit Desktop switch (I have an Ethernet cable from my main router (LAN port) to the desktop switch and from the desktop switch I have 1 Ethernet cable that goes to my TV (10m cable) and another Ethernet cable that goes to my outbuilding (50-60m cable)

In my outbuilding I have a TP link Archer C20.

I have set it up as and access point. The Ethernet cable from the desktop switch in the main house connects into the WAN port on the Archer C20.

Scenario 1 (Archer C20 not connected)

If I plug the Ethernet cable in the outbuilding directly into my laptop I get a download and upload speed of around 80mbps. I am not sure why it is so low. When using my laptop in the main house with Ethernet cable I get speeds in excess of 400mbps. Could this be because the cable is too long ?

Scenario 2 

In the outbuilding, when using the Archer C20 as an access point (Ethernet cable from desktop switch in main house plugged into WAN port in Archer C20 in the out building. I get 80mbps download speed but upload speed is 0 and can barely use the internet.

At first I thought that this could be a cable fault so I bought a cable tester. All lights light up in the correct sequence. The light number 2 seems to be slightly dimmer than the rest.

So I am at the stage now where I either need to replace the Archer C20 modem or install a new Ethernet cable from the main house to the outbuilding or both.

Any advice will be helpful

Options
2 Reply
Re:Secondary router connected to my network as access point has 0 upload speed
2022-09-12 11:02:24 - last edited 2022-09-13 14:18:30

@Ishkaar 

Archer C20 WAN/LAN ports are only 100 mbps capable, so faster speeds can be achieved with a gigabit router like C64.

You can replace the ethernet cable to the outbuilding with a shorter one just to check if the cable causes this or the C20 WAN port.

The symptoms you're describing, usually have been caused by a bad RJ-45 crimping or a bad quality ethernet cable - you should use a quality Cat 5E or CAT 6 cable.

If with a shorter cable everything's OK, you can re-crimp the cable and test again. If the issue persists change the cable with another one as described above.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Secondary router connected to my network as access point has 0 upload speed
2022-09-12 11:20:31 - last edited 2022-09-12 12:45:56

Thanks @terziyski I have re-crimped the cable on both ends and still have the same issue. Next step I will replace the cable and report back.

Options