Deco M5 Access point mode, does the main deco need to be online all the time?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-23 13:28:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

If I'm using 3 Deco M5 in Access Point mode, all three connected to the same unmanaged switch, does the main deco need to be active (online) in order for the other 2 satelite deco to be online too?

in other words,
If the main deco down (broken), does the other 2 satelite will be offline?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Access point mode, does the main deco need to be online all the time?
2022-09-23 14:13:59 - last edited 2022-09-23 14:14:41

@andocen 

I tested that with similar setup as yours, two years ago. Acess Point mode, Deco M5, two Satellite M5s wired to the switch and one Satellite connected wirelessly. When I powered off Main Deco, one of Satellite M5s wired to the switch took over as new Main Deco. Deco mesh kept running, it did not go down together with Main Deco. Even wireless Satellite reconnected to new Main Deco.

This is undocumented feature and there have been at least two M5 firmware updates since then. There is no guarantee Deco mesh will behave the same with firmware 1.6.

Why can't you power off Main Deco, see how your Deco mesh reacts to that and tell us.

Options
Re:Deco M5 Access point mode, does the main deco need to be online all the time?
2022-09-23 14:25:20

@Alexandre. Thanks

I've tried 

Alexandre. wrote

@andocen 

I tested that with similar setup as yours, two years ago. Acess Point mode, Deco M5, two Satellite M5s wired to the switch and one Satellite connected wirelessly. When I powered off Main Deco, one of Satellite M5s wired to the switch took over as new Main Deco. Deco mesh kept running, it did not go down together with Main Deco. Even wireless Satellite reconnected to new Main Deco.

This is undocumented feature and there have been at least two M5 firmware updates since then. There is no guarantee Deco mesh will behave the same with firmware 1.6.

Why can't you power off Main Deco, see how your Deco mesh reacts to that and tell us.

I've tried turning the main deco off, the other decos gone offline too but I haven't try it long enough. 
Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow, I'll get back with the results.

Options
2022-09-24 03:53:09

@Alexandre. 

I've tried it, the WiFi is still working fine, then I have the option to switch the main deco manually.

If I don't switch the main deco the led will blink red

Thanks for your help yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 418

Replies: 3

Related Articles