Deco M4 wirelessly connected and switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-26 13:15:35 - last edited 2022-09-26 14:09:12
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I would like to setup my network as the below picture. The goal is that the Desktop PC and the smart TV which will be connected with ethernet cable, will have access to Internet from the Decos and they can use the speed of the switch for other tasks (file sharing, video streaming) in the internal network. Also can the 2nd Deco used as an access point for other wifi devices (like mobile phones)?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M4 wirelessly connected and switch-Solution
2022-09-26 13:51:47 - last edited 2022-09-26 14:09:12

@spock123 

If you keep Deco in its default Router mode, your home network default gateway will be Main Deco. Also, it will be your DNS and DHCP server.

If you switch Deco to  Access Point mode, your home network default gateway, DNS and DHCP server will remain ISP Modem/Router.

The traffic between TV and PC is supposed to go through the switch. Unless streaming software needs to talk "to the cloud." If you can do large file transfer between two devices connected to the same switch, you can unplug switch from the router and transfer should continue uninterrupted.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 wirelessly connected and switch
2022-09-26 13:31:10

@spock123 

This network diagram will work. You can wire switch to Satellite Deco, and because M4 has two Ethernet ports, you can wire something else directly to the second Ethernet port, if you want to. 

The Satellite Deco (2nd Deco in your diagram) will broadcast WiFi signal and, of course, Wi-Fi devices such as smartphones will connect to it and will join your home network.

I have recommendation for you: if you plan on using ISP gateway (modem+router), consider switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode. In that mode, home network will be managed by ISP gateway, as it is now, Deco mesh will provide WiFi coverage. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

By default, Deco runs in Router mode, making Main Deco a router, and having two routers connected to each other in your network diagram.

If you only have ISP modem and/or plan to switch ISP gateway to bridge mode, you should keep Deco in its default Router mode.

Options
Re:Deco M4 wirelessly connected and switch
2022-09-26 13:36:42

@Alexandre. Thank you for the reply.

So you say that I will maintain the speed (1Gbps) on my local network between the devices that will be connected directly to the Gigabit switch and these devices will have access to Internet too. Am I correct? What gateway the "switch conencted devices" will they use? My ISP's modem/router?

Options
Re:Deco M4 wirelessly connected and switch-Solution
2022-09-26 13:51:47 - last edited 2022-09-26 14:09:12

@spock123 

If you keep Deco in its default Router mode, your home network default gateway will be Main Deco. Also, it will be your DNS and DHCP server.

If you switch Deco to  Access Point mode, your home network default gateway, DNS and DHCP server will remain ISP Modem/Router.

The traffic between TV and PC is supposed to go through the switch. Unless streaming software needs to talk "to the cloud." If you can do large file transfer between two devices connected to the same switch, you can unplug switch from the router and transfer should continue uninterrupted.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 566

Replies: 3

Related Articles