static ip device become invisible for deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-30 06:00:56
Tags: #bug
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

i found a bug where setting static ip on wireless devices (like esp8266 or esp32) become invisible for deco to detect.

<b>what deco app showing</b>

* no signal info of device

* no traffic info of device

* even device show offline but still connected to deco node

<b>why i'm using static ip</b>

setting static ip reduce connection time - 7s

<b>other info</b>

esphome with home assistant

Options
5 Reply
Re:static ip device become invisible for deco
2022-09-30 14:42:05

@kayyum_in 

This is not really a bug. Deco ignores devices it is not managing. Another potential issue with setting static IP on device is Deco might assign same IP address to a different device, causing IP address conflict on your home network.

Have you considered setting static IP in Deco mesh for your device? Here is the process: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco

Options
2022-09-30 14:52:34 - last edited 2022-09-30 14:53:32

@Alexandre. 

well i already assigned ip's in address reservation of deco.

the issue is deco can't able to detect wifi linked devices when static ip used.

the main concern is if someone have enough knowledge and know my password - VOILAAA! they get free internet and access to my network even any detect for over years and years(changing password in every devices is headache).

openwrt wireless dashboard show connected client no matter its dynamic or static.

Options
2022-10-21 20:31:49

@kayyum_in 

I also have the same problem with my esphome devices(esp8266,esp32). i'm using home assistant and only my esphome devices lose connection randomly and become unavaliable.

Options
2023-03-13 17:35:53

@kayyum_in 

I'm having this problem as well. However, for me it seems that the static assigned ESP device is only reachable by devices on the same satellite (M5) as the ESP device.

So, if I have a laptop (DHCP) on M5-2 and the ESP (static/manual-ip) connects on M5-1, then the laptop cannot ping the ESP. But, if I manually change the "connection preference" for the Laptop to M5-1, then they now can ping each other.

Options
2023-03-28 06:29:07 - last edited 2023-03-28 06:30:19

This is a rather large hole in the ecosystem.

Any device that you confider network setting on directly and chose not to use Deco to provide the IP from its DHCP. Can not be assigned a Static IP or have port forwarding configured.

Security devices, servers and network equipment. 

No idea why they would ignore this requirement. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 643

Replies: 5

Tags

bug
Related Articles