Why does X60 satellite connect to the weakest Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-04 23:37:17 - last edited 2022-10-05 01:48:19
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have my main deco in the house. I then have one in the master bedroom with Ethernet back haul. About ten meters outside I have colorbond shed with another deco (it insists on connecting to the main deco even though the signal is weak) and then another 15metres from that I have another deco in another colorbond garage. It too insists on connecting to the main deco even though the signal is so weak it drops out all the time.

Why do my satellite x60 deco's insist on linking to the Main Deco when the signal is so weak it keeps dropping out?

There are two other deco's closer with stronger signal.

Is there some way to force a deco to connect to a specific unit?

Failing all of that, is there another model that has excellent range/amazing penetrationnn (to get around  language filter) that I could use as the main deco?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Why does X60 satellite connect to the weakest Deco
2022-10-05 12:40:47

@Kabnine 

I have not seen TP-Link providing updated Deco firmware for X60 to choose how Satellite Deco will connect, but in your case there might be a workaround. It depends on what is Main Deco connected to: ISP modem or ISP gateway (modem/router). If you can give me ISP device brand name and model number, I can figure that for you and give details for workaround.

Other than that, the most powerful Deco in X-series is Deco X90, but even that might not be enough to work well it your setup. 

There is TP-Link Deco beta firmware for X55 that allows to choose where Satellite Deco connect, if you can replace your X60s with X55, that may fix the issue. See Deco X55 1.1.0

Options
2022-10-05 21:05:48

@Alexandre. 

It sucks that the easiest fix is to buy more deco units that don't work properly unless using a beta firmware, but I found a 3 pack of the x55 for about half price used, so I've bought those.

Thank you very much for your help.

Options
2022-10-05 23:37:28

@Kabnine 

Not every brand of WiFi mesh allows to configure how satellite nodes connect. That was the reason for initial pushback from TP-Link Deco development team: "Nobody does it, so why should we?"

If you ever decide to go with different brand of WiFi mesh, you now know to check for that feature before buying hardware.

Do you plan to sell X60s you have? If you are going to keep them, they can run side by side with X55s just fine. You can place X60s where you are OK with them to connect to Main Deco, and one of X60 units can be Main Deco.

Options
2022-10-06 00:58:06

@Alexandre. 

I am just going to replace the shed and garage x60's with the x55's and tell them to connect to the master bedroom (it has Ethernet back haul). I am going to leave the 3 X60s (one is the main deco) in place since they have the 4 antenna (x55 is 2) and ethernet.

Not sure what I will do with the 2 x X60s I am replacing. Might try and flog them off on ebay or just give them to my brother as I get well and truly enough in house coverage from the 3 inside units.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 571

Replies: 4

Related Articles