Different SSID for 2.4 Ghz & 5Ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-07 16:15:34
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Latest Omada controller & firmware on my EAP's. 4 outdoor & 2 indoor.

Trying to set up some Tuya 2.4ghz devices that need my phone to be on the same network to be able to install via the OEM app.

My Samsung Galaxy S21 of course wants to use the best signal & generally 5ghz so the Tuya setup won't work.

Either temp or permanently would like to have different SSID's so I can switch the phone to the same 2.4ghz.

I read just add another SSID. I can't see how that is done?

I would turn off the 5ghz while I install the Tuya device but if I have to do a few times seems a faff but also shortly will be wanting to do the same & the new tuya devices will be connecting to an EAP225 outdoor that will be wifi bridged.

I am assuming if I turn off the 5ghz that wifi bridged EAP225 will loose connections so won't work anyway.

As a side note, I have just enabled Force Disassociation in the hope to improve, My S21 ultra will hang on the lowest possible signal, even to the point it says, connected but no internet & I could be 5 feet from another AP.

Must be a Samsung or android thing, my old S9 & wifes S22 is the same. In this day & age of mesh & multiple AP why does it not switch. Has always driven me mad, don't mind the slow speed but to be sitting for some time & find I am actually not connected to the internet when a few feet from a full signal AP is crazy. Rant over.

Any advise or experience with the Force Dissassociation?

Is it worth also looking into the RSSI settings. I think I am always near a AP of some sort so don't think a problem but perhaps it will keep kicking me off it just not quite close enough for a good signal.

Thanks I/A

Options
2 Reply
Re:Different SSID for 2.4 Ghz & 5Ghz
2022-10-07 17:00:37

@Bignose21 

Tuya needs the same network, whether it's 2.4 or 5ghz, both of your devices will still be on the same network.  An example where they wouldn't be is if you have a VLAN setup, say for Guest network or IoT devices.  The requirement is not that each device needs to be at 2.4ghz entering the network.

Set RSSI at whatever threshold works, say -70 to start and then adjust from there.

APs: EAP225v3, EAP245v3, EAP670, Controller: Linux, Primary Switch: T2600-28TS, Routing: OPNsense
Options
Re:Different SSID for 2.4 Ghz & 5Ghz
2022-10-13 11:03:27

@Bignose21 

There may be related topics in this thread, so you may take the time to read them:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/578366

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 784

Replies: 2

Related Articles