Setting up Deco x20 Without Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-10 18:29:34 - last edited 2022-10-11 19:43:37
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm upgrading my existing single access point to mesh AX20 but want to set the mesh first without Internet access.  The reason for this is to test the mesh routers position prior to plugging in the cable modem and test the signal at the outdoor wireless cameras.  The Deco app does not allow me to continue without connecting to the ethernet port.  I tried connecting to 192.168.68.1 and it wants me to use the app.  Is it possible?

Thanks,

troy

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Setting up Deco x20 Without Modem-Solution
2022-10-11 11:36:18 - last edited 2022-10-11 19:43:37

@troyincanada 

Deco requires Internet access for setup and management. Deco app on smartphone does not communicate with your Deco mesh directly, but through TP-Link cloud. There is no Web page interface for Deco configuration.

The way to do initial configuration is to connect Main Deco to existent router and configure Deco mesh with Main Deco and Satellite Deco. You will have two networks at your house, one from the router and one from Deco, but for the purpose of setup and finding good places for Satellite Deco it does not matter.

When you are satisfied with results, connect Main Deco to the modem, bypassing router.

Another option is to keep router and have Deco mesh only provide WiFi access. This is what I've done at my house. With this setup your router keeps managing network (IP addresses allocation, static IPs, etc.). If you are not satisfied with WiFi coverage provided by Deco mesh, you can just power off Deco nodes and ship them back, without need to redo your home network setup. You'll just go back to how your network was before Deco.

This Deco configuration, where it only provides WiFi, is called Access Point mode. See this document for more information: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

To reiterate: Deco mesh requires management through Deco app, and Deco mesh requires Internet access for configuration and management. If it is not for your liking, consider returning Deco hardware back to retailer and trying with different WiFi mesh brand.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up Deco x20 Without Modem
2022-10-10 19:27:01

@troyincanada 

How many Deco X20 do you have, and also do you have cable modem or cable gateway? If you can give me your cable modem/gateway brand name and model number, I can figure what it is.

Options
2022-10-11 05:10:40

@Alexandre. Thanks for replying. I have the X20 3 sets.  The problem is not the cable modem.  It's currently hooked up to my exiting router which provides me the internet.  I wanted to setup the mesh network i.e. SSID; set the user admin, wifi and guest password before I hook it up to the cable modem so I can position the router locations.  I actually found a way to position the routers and test the wifi signals without going through the setup.  Just plug it in and the individual router's SSID is broadcasted.  I then use the wifi analyzer to check the signal strength from inside and outside the house.  However, I still would like to setup the X20 before hooking it up to my cable modem if that is possible.

troy

Options
Re:Setting up Deco x20 Without Modem-Solution
2022-10-11 11:36:18 - last edited 2022-10-11 19:43:37

@troyincanada 

Deco requires Internet access for setup and management. Deco app on smartphone does not communicate with your Deco mesh directly, but through TP-Link cloud. There is no Web page interface for Deco configuration.

The way to do initial configuration is to connect Main Deco to existent router and configure Deco mesh with Main Deco and Satellite Deco. You will have two networks at your house, one from the router and one from Deco, but for the purpose of setup and finding good places for Satellite Deco it does not matter.

When you are satisfied with results, connect Main Deco to the modem, bypassing router.

Another option is to keep router and have Deco mesh only provide WiFi access. This is what I've done at my house. With this setup your router keeps managing network (IP addresses allocation, static IPs, etc.). If you are not satisfied with WiFi coverage provided by Deco mesh, you can just power off Deco nodes and ship them back, without need to redo your home network setup. You'll just go back to how your network was before Deco.

This Deco configuration, where it only provides WiFi, is called Access Point mode. See this document for more information: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

To reiterate: Deco mesh requires management through Deco app, and Deco mesh requires Internet access for configuration and management. If it is not for your liking, consider returning Deco hardware back to retailer and trying with different WiFi mesh brand.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-11 19:43:30

@Alexandre.  Thanks again for your great suggestions.  I plan to keep the new router since I've been happy with my existing router Archer x50.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1933

Replies: 4

Related Articles