Deco XE75 Pro / AXE5400 - Please Help

2022-10-13 12:36:07 - last edited 2022-10-13 12:37:28
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I will appreciate it if fellow members and mesh networking experts can steer me in the right direction. I have a 2 story house that has 20cm solid stone/concete walls and partitions. I have decided to fo with the Deco XE75 and have the following questions:-

1. Since the XE75 has 3 ethernet ports, can I wire 2 slave modules into the Main (master) module?

2. Can the non-wired XE75 slave modules talk to the Main (master) module using the 6 MHz band in open or semi-open areas to maximise on bandwidth? - for example, the modules in the Main Lounge and Minor Lounge where there is an open walkway between the two rooms.

3. Is the XE75 a good choice? - any other recommendations?

4. Is it easy to setup and manage?

Quick help will be appreciated as I need to make a decision as soon as possible.

Options
28 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Pro / AXE5400 - Please Help
2022-10-13 14:59:30 - last edited 2022-10-13 21:21:50

@Samazar 

1. Since the XE75 has 3 ethernet ports, can I wire 2 slave modules into the Main (master) module?

You definitely can. Also, if you need to connect more wired devices, just connect gigabit switch to one of Deco Ethernet ports, and you have expanded wired connections.

2. Can the non-wired XE75 slave modules talk to the Main (master) module using the 6 MHz band? 

Yes, but you will have to make a choice: you can either use 6 MHz for backhaul (Deco nodes talking to each other) or you can use 6 MHz for mobile devices supporting WiFi 6E, such as Mictosoft Surface Pro 9 tablet. Not both simultaneously.

This is tough choice, as more and more mobile devices will start coming with WiFi 6E support.

3. Is the XE75 a good choice? - any other recommendations?

XE75 is good TP-Link product, but recommendations depend for what you need it for. It is tri-band, so if you use 6 MHz for backhaul you should have good speed on your Deco nodes that are not Ethernet wired, as they are going to have good connections to each other. 

XE75 has gigabit Ethernet ports, as long as your Internet connection is gigabit or less and home network is gigabit and not 10 gigabit, they'll do just fine. 

XE75 is relatively new hardware from TP-Link, you won't find much feedback on it yet.

4. Is it easy to setup and manage?

Setup and management is done through Deco app exclcusively. No Web management interface. People who have a need to fine tune every possible parameter in WiFi find that too easy and limited. For me, it is just the right way: I can have as much fun tweaking networks at my work as I want to, for home network I prefer simple interface. If it works after deployment, with perhaps minimum tuning, I keep it. If it does not - I'll send it back. I have Deco mesh for two years now. 

My recommendation: try Deco XE75, but get it from the place with 1 month return policy. In a week or two you'll see if that WiFi mesh works for you.

-------------

The post is getting long, so on a side note: if you plan to keep your current Internet modem/router and buying XE75 for good WiFi coverage only, you won't necessarily need to pass all traffic through Main Deco to ISP modem/router. Here is link you may find useful: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Options
2022-10-13 21:46:58

Hi  @Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for your informative, detailed and helpful response.

You definitely can. Also, if you need to connect more wired devices, just connect gigabit switch to one of Deco Ethernet ports, and you have expanded wired connections.

I am glad to learn that I can connect 2 satellite modules directly to the main (master) module using the two available gigabit ports. The third port will be used to connect the internet router modem/router. Good to know I can use a gigabit switch to connect more nodes.

Yes, but you will have to make a choice: you can either use 6 MHz for backhaul (Deco nodes talking to each other) or you can use 6 MHz for mobile devices supporting WiFi 6E, such as Mictosoft Surface Pro 9 tablet. Not both simultaneously. This is tough choice, as more and more mobile devices will start coming with WiFi 6E support.

Would you recommend that I leave the 6 Mhz band for the backhaul?

In the minor lounge, I will likely use the 3 ports of the node for AV equipment and smart TV.

Thanks to your kind help, I feel confident to go for the XE75.

Options
2022-10-13 23:36:05 - last edited 2022-10-14 01:06:02

@Samazar 

There are not very many mobile devices supporting WiFi 6E yet, so it makes sense to leave it for backhaul for now.  After you set your Deco mesh, you can run tests to see if WiFi 6E makes a difference in backhaul mode - switch Deco mesh to broadcast WiFi 6E instead and see if backhaul without it will worsen Internet speeds for devices connected to Satellite Deco which isn't wired.

>In the minor lounge, I will likely use the 3 ports of the node for AV equipment and smart TV.

Yes, on any Deco every available Ethernet port can be used as a connection to your home network. If Satellite Deco XE75 is wirelessly connected to the Main Deco, you can have all three ports on Satellite Deco to wire devices to.

Options
2022-10-14 15:22:44

@Alexandre.

There are not very many mobile devices supporting WiFi 6E yet, so it makes sense to leave it for backhaul for now.

I guess that makes sense.

Yes, on any Deco every available Ethernet port can be used as a connection to your home network. If Satellite Deco XE75 is wirelessly connected to the Main Deco, you can have all three ports on Satellite Deco to wire devices to.

That is good to know and very convenient. I wish I could wire this particulat node but I think it will be fine.

If you look at the diagram I posted the 2 rooms to the left are actually in the corners opposite each other. I am hoping that the wired node in the corridor will be sufficient and will provide decent signal strength in those 2 rooms. I am under the notion that it will be fine.

What is the maximum number of XE75 modules, including the master, can I have in an installation?

By the way are you part of technical support or are you an end-user?

Options
2022-10-14 15:51:48

@Samazar 

With these two room and house in general, you would not know how good coverage there will be, until you deploy Deco units. I would suggest installing WiFi analyzer app on smartphone, to map WiFi coverage at your house after you deploy Deco mesh. My preferred app is WiFiman from Ubiquiti, available for Android and iPhone in their app stores.

Check this FAQ document: How many Deco units can I add to my Deco mesh network?

Note that TP-Link sells Deco XE75 in sets of two and three. I don't think you can buy single add-on XE75. If you'll find you need one more for your Deco mesh, you may have to buy 2-unit set. 

Perhaps, you can just order 3-unit set to start with and use it to evaluate how many more you'll need, by moving two Satellite Deco from this initial set around your house. Up to you.

I have a question for you: are you buying "XE75 PRO" or "XE75"? Not much difference between these two models as far as I can tell, other than XE75 PRO having one 2.5 gigabit Ethernet port out of three and XE75 - all three gigabit.

If your Internet speed is gigabit and under, and if both models available at your region, check prices for both - you might save few dollars on XE75 vs. XE75 PRO. Both, alas, only sold in 2- and 3-unit sets.

Also, if you can choose between XE75 PRO and XE75, double check their specs carefully - I might have missed some other differences.

I am end user, not part of TP-Link Deco support team and not affiliated with TP-Link in any way.

Options
2022-10-16 01:45:48

@Alexandre.

Thank you Alexandre, you have been such a great help and I really appreciate it.

With these two room and house in general, you would not know how good coverage there will be, until you deploy Deco units.

Makes sense. Is there a step by step instruction manual and/or a video that shows how to set-up the master module and slave modules?

I would suggest installing WiFi analyzer app on smartphone, to map WiFi coverage at your house after you deploy Deco mesh. My preferred app is WiFiman from Ubiquiti, available for Android and iPhone in their app stores.

That is very useful to know, tried downloading it but it refused as I'm still using an iPhone 6 with the older iOS. Any other suggestions?

Check this FAQ document: How many Deco units can I add to my Deco mesh network?

Very useful and informative, thanks.

Note that TP-Link sells Deco XE75 in sets of two and three. I don't think you can buy single add-on XE75. If you'll find you need one more for your Deco mesh, you may have to buy 2-unit set. Perhaps, you can just order 3-unit set to start with and use it to evaluate how many more you'll need, by moving two Satellite Deco from this initial set around your house. Up to you.

Good idea.

I have a question for you: are you buying "XE75 PRO" or "XE75"? Not much difference between these two models as far as I can tell, other than XE75 PRO having one 2.5 gigabit Ethernet port out of three and XE75 - all three gigabit.

If your Internet speed is gigabit and under, and if both models available at your region, check prices for both - you might save few dollars on XE75 vs. XE75 PRO. Both, alas, only sold in 2- and 3-unit sets.

Also, if you can choose between XE75 PRO and XE75, double check their specs carefully - I might have missed some other differences.

Thinking of getting the XE75 (not the pro version). Speeds will be under a gigabit.

I am end user, not part of TP-Link Deco support team and not affiliated with TP-Link in any way.

Very kind and thoughtful of you to provide assistance. I feel confident about my decision after your input.

Is there any guide or video that highlights the setup process?

Options
2022-10-16 13:43:24

@Samazar 

I would suggest you try installing TP-Link Deco app from Apple app store to your smartphone. Do it now, even before your ordered Deco hardware. Because, if you can't install Deco app, you won't be able to setup and configure Deco mesh.

After you installed Deco app, start it and you will be greeted with the step by step process of setting Main Deco. After initial setup of Main Deco, you can add as many Satellite Deco as you can, also through the app. Adding an additional unit to your TP-Link Deco network

Hint: when adding new Satellite Deco, do not wire it with Ethernet cable. Leave that for after new Satellite Deco is successfully added to Deco mesh through Deco app.

As for WiFi analyzer, see if NetSpot from Etwok can be installed. It is somewhat more complex that WiFiman, but should do the job. If that one also can't be installed on your iPhone, you'll have to search for WiFi analyzer app in Apple app store that can.

Options
2022-10-17 10:33:09

@Alexandre. 

Thank you Alexandre, I will certainly try and resolve the app issue. I might resort to using an alternative Android smartphone. I'm sure WiFiman is available for Android too.

I will certainly follow the tips that you have provided.

Seems like the installation process will be simple and intuitive.

Options
2022-10-17 10:39:33

@Alexandre. 

By the way, as you have confirmed, I will wire 2 slave XE75 modules (Satellites) directly to the master (main) XE75 module which will take up 2 of the 3 ports available on the master module. The third port of the master module will be used to connect the ISP's modem/router.

Is there any advantage to connecting the 2 slave modules via a 5-port or 8-port switch? - I suppose a switch is only required when I need to wire more than 2 satellites, is that right?

Options
2022-10-17 13:45:56

Samazar wrote

Is there any advantage to connecting the 2 slave modules via a 5-port or 8-port switch? - I suppose a switch is only required when I need to wire more than 2 satellites, is that right?

@Samazar 

You are correct: you will only need switch if you don't have enough Ethernet ports on Deco unit. 

That is just an option I mentioned if you find you need more Ethernet ports Deco unit can provide. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5348

Replies: 28

Related Articles