Deco M4 WiFi Occasional Dropouts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-14 12:03:36
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I have setup a set of Deco M4s in a bungalow house after recently getting 100Mb broadband installed. I am experiencing random WiFi dropouts, almost like it's switching between the Decos which I think defeats the purpose of them. I'm not sure if it's something Todo with my setup( where I have placed them)? Or something else configuration related in the app?

I have near full WiFi signal strength on my phone, but randomly it will disconnect for a second then reconnect. The WiFi assistant shows 5 stars, I've ran network optimization and it's says perfect. Medium WiFi Interface ( anything I can do about this?). Operation Mode is Router.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue I'm experiencing? This only happens now and again, majority of time it's working flawlessly but is annoying when it does happen.

Thanks 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 WiFi Occasional Dropouts
2022-10-14 13:29:21

@Penguin1 

When you say "disconnect and reconnect," does it mean phone switches to cellular with WiFi signal lost, then back to WiFi, or it stays on WiFi all the time but Internet access is lost briefly?

If your broadband comes through ISP Router and you configured WiFi on it, it is possible your smartphone jumps between two networks, one is Deco mesh and another is ISP Router. What is your Main Deco connected to: ISP modem or ISP router? If it is ISP router, did you leave its WiFi on?

What you also haven't specified is when smartphone loses connection: during your walk through the house, after you just walked through the house, or you were staying at the same place for over 30 minutes not moving much and suddenly phone lost connection. That may help to narrow why disconnect is happening.

What is the brand and model number of your smartphone? Also, does connection drop happens only on that one smartphone or you observe it with different mobile devices?

How many Deco M4 units do you have? I am assuming, if it is bungalow you put them in straight line on the same floor, right? 

Options
2022-10-14 14:14:05

Alexandre. wrote

@Penguin1 

When you say "disconnect and reconnect," does it mean phone switches to cellular with WiFi signal lost, then back to WiFi, or it stays on WiFi all the time but Internet access is lost briefly? Full WiFi signal, drops to cellular then back to full WiFi signal, all in a few seconds.

If your broadband comes through ISP Router and you configured WiFi on it, it is possible your smartphone jumps between two networks, one is Deco mesh and another is ISP Router. What is your Main Deco connected to: ISP modem or ISP router? If it is ISP router, did you leave its WiFi on? No after setting up the Mesh network I "Forget this Network" from my device to prevent this from happening. Since posting the above I have done further trouble shooting and disabled WiFi on my ISP router and have set the Decos to Access Point Mode but I am still experiencing the same occasional drop out. 

What you also haven't specified is when smartphone loses connection: during your walk through the house, after you just walked through the house, or you were staying at the same place for over 30 minutes not moving much and suddenly phone lost connection. That may help to narrow why disconnect is happening. I dont have to move for it to happen, I can just be sitting in the same spot on my phone and it drops. Maybe the Decos are too close to each other? The house is quite long so I have spaced them our to provide full coverage as the ISP Router does not reach. The lowest Wifi Signal I get anywhere in the house is 3 out of 5 bars with the Decos.

What is the brand and model number of your smartphone? Also, does connection drop happens only on that one smartphone or you observe it with different mobile devices? I've ruled out the devices being an issue as its happened on both an iPhone / Pixel.

How many Deco M4 units do you have? I am assuming, if it is bungalow you put them in straight line on the same floor, right? I have 3 setup, 1 connected directly into the ISP router (the router is wired into the attic, so the main one sits directly beside it). The next Deco sits further down the house but upstairs still. The third sits between these 2, im not totally sure how best to set these up to provide the best coverage, currently it provides full coverage to the house but ive lost a third of the speed - not too concerned about this but again is anything I can do better to increase this? https://imgur.com/a/NM9Drnc sorry for the poor diagram but couldnt think for another way of showing it - Green circle is the ISP router.

@Alexandre. 

Options
2022-10-14 14:31:39

@Penguin1 

On Satellite Deco, you should expect to see up to 50% speed drop comparing to Main Deco. This is not Deco mesh fault, it is WiFi mesh technology limitation. 

I would suggest two things: check if link between Satellite and Main Decos is good, and also force devices always use 5GHz to make them faster roam to nearest Deco node. 

1. Link between Satellite and Main Deco.

In Deco app, touch the globe and in the list of Deco units select Satellite Deco, one by one. You should see their info page with Signal Source in it, example:

This tells you where you Satellite Deco is connected to and with what quality of signal. If there is less than two blue bars - Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco. 

2. WiFi 5GHz.

In Deco app, under WiFi settings, turn off 2.4GHz in Main Network, and see if it made the difference. Example:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 3

Related Articles