EAP225 requires daily reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-27 13:47:37
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 5.0.8

I just got an Omada starter bundle, which includes a VPN router, PoE switch, and EAP225 AP. I'm still waiting for the switch to come in, but I've got the router and AP set up with a trial license for the Omada Cloud controller (I will likely migrate it to a local controller after the trial expires as I am only testing it to see if the company I work for wants to start using this equipment). So far, at some point every day I've had to reboot the AP because everything just stops connecting to it properly. Devices will connect, but get no throughput. The firmware is fully up to date and I haven't tried to set up anything fancy on it. Just 2 WiFi networks, one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5/6Ghz (I realize this AP doesn't support 6Ghz) because I use the higher bands for specific devices and this is the easiest way to make sure everything connects to the band I want it on. At first, I thought it was the AI Optimization and I turned off the power tuning, but the channel tuning is still on. Should I turn that off as well? The WiFi frequencies are not overly crowed around here, and wired devices do not seem to have a problem. Is anyone else having similar issues? I have no other equipment that would be interfering with DHCP or traffic flow or anything like that.

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP225 requires daily reboot
2022-10-27 16:59:31

@BMehling

Cant say I have experienced this issue, but reading your post the one thing that does jump at me is the Cloud Controller.  

I had a customer choose the cloud controller and it gave him some strange outages, mostly due to his line being maxed out at periods and therefore the devices lost controller access and things went south after that.

Would you be running a smaller internet line that could max out at times?   I have only ever seen the cloud controller work well on sites that internet capacity is not a concerm.

You could try removing the 225 from the controller and running manually configured for a day or two to rule this out..   if so the local controller will likely resolve it for you

Options
2022-10-27 21:50:58
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just had to reboot the router now because my desktop lost internet access. To answer your question about my internet speed, I have Xfinity (Comcast), 900Mbps down, 25Mbps up, although I haven't seen a speed test get over 600Mbps since I hooked this equipment up where I was routinely getting 750-900Mpbs on my old MikroTik equipment. The first time I had to reboot the AP, it did show heartbeat missed in the controller, but it hasn't indicated anything like that since and I've been able to reboot through the controller every time. I may reset everything and go with manual set up and see if that makes a difference, but that would make these products unusable for our customers as being able to use the cloud controller is a must and random drops like this are unacceptable. Too bad. I was getting strong UniFi vibes from the controller interface and was almost excited for a minute. I find it hard to believe I've misconfigured something, but who knows.
Options
2022-10-28 05:49:17

@BMehling 

I have EAP225-Outdoor (it's basically the same as EAP225 but outdoor version) but I did not see the same issue.

The difference is that I'm using Omada Software controller, not cloud based controller. I'm not sure if it influence the performance of the AP.

Could that be a problem on connection between your Router and the EAP? (since you mentioned Ethernet connection are working fine)

Try another cable from the PoE injector to your router, the cable between router and PoE injector should not be more than 6 feet.

Also try disable Advanced settings on Sites option. Sometimes that advanced settings may make compatible issue.

Options
2022-10-29 04:42:35

@Somnus I'm not sure if it's the controller either, but it would be unfortunate if it is. I also don't understand why it would be. UniFi devices happily keep chugging along without communication with any controller with their last know configuration, and the controller is the only option for configuring them. This *shouldn't* be any different. Even if you're using the local software version, what if you need to reboot the computer hosting the controller? The whole network goes down? That's very poor design.

The AP is not using the injector at this point and the problem continues. Also, I've had the issue at the router level now too... Or rather had the issue on a wired device. Don't know if it's been the router the whole time.

I just went and changed the Wi-Fi security from WPA2-PSK/WPA3 back to WPA2-Personal to see if that helps any as I was just having lots of issues streaming on my TV which has also had lots of problems just connecting.

Overall network speeds, wired and wireless, have been relatively poor since installing this equipment as well. I haven't had a speed test higher than 600Mbps since installing this equipment. Was getting 800-900 before. That's not a controller issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 4

Related Articles