Load Balancing based on speed?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-28 11:52:59
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi-

I am considering buying a ER605 to solve a connectivity problem I have.  Here is my situation:

I have ADSL in my house, and typically get 30Mbps. Sometimes it drops as low as 1Mbps.  There is no fiber option today.

I have a 4G TP-Link router that I also use.  It can get anywhere from 4Mbps to 45Mbps based on weather and time of day.

I have the ADSL running through the 4G router, in Wireless router mode.  Meaning it prioritizes the ADSL and fails over to the 4G when the ADSL is down.  But the ADSL is never really down, it just gets really slow.  I had set the 4G router to 3G/4G router mode, which then prioritized the 4G connection. We burned through our monthly allowance in a few days (my wife does video work).  

I need a way to say "Use the ADSL unless the speed drops below ~2Mbps, then distribute some (all?) of the traffic to the 4G."

I read the ER605 manual, and I don't think this is possible.  Is it?

-Rick

Options
3 Reply
Re:Load Balancing based on speed?
2022-10-28 12:18:53

@rickjames8 

In stand alone mode, you can base the Load Balane based on the speed cap.

If you have 100mbps and the speeds hit 100mbps it will fail over to WAN2.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-10-28 14:05:56
Thanks! So if I can balance based on a max speed (what you described), I'm guessing I could also balance on a minimum speed (what I need to solve for)? I wish I had the problem of "what to do if my bandwidth exceeds 100Mpbs. :) One of the joys of living in a remote area!
Options
2022-10-29 09:17:35

@rickjames8 

it's not possible to be that smart.. what you described is smarter than it is in fact. because it is not consistently speed-testing and dynamically adjusting your traffic.

but it can do the speed-based LB. it is just to balance the traffic between the preset speed you give to both wan based on the ratio. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 3

Related Articles