Speedtest in app slower than wifi or wired lan

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-02 14:41:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

When using the speedtest in the Deco app it will show:

480down | 900up

When testing wired from the ISP modem or wired connected to the Deco M5 it will show:

900down | 900up

When testing the best wifi speed it will show:

530down | 530up

So the wifi speed and wired speed is very good! I have no complains!
But why does the speedtest inside the TPLink Deco app show a lower speed down result everytime. 

It is even slower than the the Wifi or Wired speedtest when connected to the DECO M5. 

Anyone else also have this issue, it seems there is a bugthe Speed test in the app is not able to download speedtest more than 500Mbit. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Speedtest in app slower than wifi or wired lan
2022-11-02 18:13:38

@CWTK 

This is definitely bug. It is present in both Deco M5 and Deco M9 Plus. I reported it about 2 years ago, when I noticed it. Some people say, it does not manifest itself when Deco mesh runs in Router (default) mode. I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode and I have not tested that claim. How do you run your Deco mesh: in Router or in AP mode?

It is unlikely TP-Link will fix that issue. It seems to be in third-party code they use in their Deco, and for newer models they either went with different third-party code or with different supplier. In many newer Deco models "Test Internet Speed" is just not present in Deco app, because Deco firmware does not support it.

My recommendation: just ignore it. This is just reporting issue, not real bandwidth throttling.

Options
2022-11-02 19:28:08

@Alexandre. 
Yes I run it in AP mode too. Never tried it in router mode.

It is indeed not a big issue and can be ignored. Too bad they will not fix it.

Options
2022-11-02 20:23:04

@Alexandre. @CWTK,

If I am not mistaken, the test that resides in the deco labs app actually does not check the speed of the connection at the router, it accomplishes the same thing as other speed test services. This means that the speed listed will be the speed including all the factors of your network, such as crowding, congestion, or other environmental factors that could affect the wireless signals. 

We are also currently rolling out a new version of the deco app to users, so these features may have been updated or moved since some of our FAQs were posted

Options
2022-11-02 20:28:53

@Riley_S 

Hi,

I believe we are discussing "Test Internet Speed" button in Deco app, not Deco labs speed test.

Options
2022-11-02 20:43:26

@Alexandre. Yes the deco app "Speedtest button". It looks like download result is half or limited to around 500. Since wired or wireless results on devices itself are higher than Deco app result shows.

Options